Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They tried to demand that we pay for dinner

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies
We have plans to go out to dinner last night with my in-laws. Just a few minutes before they were due to get to our house my neighbor stopped by with a bottle of wine and a few scratch off lottery tickets as a thank you for watching her house and getting her mail for the last few weeks. I scratched off the ticket and I won $1,000 off of one of them!

Just as I was telling my husband they knocked on the door. So of course we told them our good luck. Now don't get me wrong it's not like we needed the money but $1000 is always nice especially when you weren't expecting it. My fil said "well I guess y'all are paying for dinner then". We both assumed he was joking so we laughed it off. When we all go out to dinner especially when it's for no reason like it was last night, everyone just pays for their own family. But mil and fil look to dead serious and said " y'all just won $1000 and you should celebrate by taking us out". Dh said "no we're happy to go out to dinner with you but everyone is still paying their own way, as always".

Fil called Dh a selfish ass and they left! It went from us assuming they were kidding to them being angry and leaving in about minute. That's how fast escalated it was crazy. After they left my husband sent fil a text message that when he's ready to apologize he can give my husband a call.

We ended up going to a different restaurant because we didn't want to end up running into them and we had a nice meal with the kids. I was just so shocked by their behavior. For years we have gone out for dinner several times a year for no reason and nobody expects anyone else to pay. Instead of just being happy that something good happened to us they had to try to find a way to get something out of it.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:15 PM
Bump
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:18 PM

ummm yeah i wouldn't have told them. if you offer fine but no one should demand it just because you win some money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:19 PM
6 moms liked this
Idk. I would have paid for dinner. Especially if you're not hurting for money and its just a nice bonus.
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:20 PM
I'd told my dad sounds great and i will take you out. But that's back payments to the number of times they've taken me and the kids out. Were they being overbearing? Sure but you just won a grand. Celebrate with the guy.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:20 PM
4 moms liked this
Next time keep monetary good news to yourself because they obviously don't know how to behave.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
If I won $1000 and am not struggling I can't see why I wouldn't treat my parents to a dinner.
Phoenix_lament
by Fawkes on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Lesson 1: Never discuss your finances with other people. Ever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:21 PM
You shouldn't have told them but yea they were wrong to act that way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:21 PM
Usually we wouldn't have told them but they knocked on the door just as I was telling my husband so we were excited obviously

Quoting ilovemykids323:

ummm yeah i wouldn't have told them. if you offer fine but no one should demand it just because you win some money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:22 PM
3 moms liked this
Oh my gosh, you all seem like a bunch of cheap skates. They shouldn't have gotten mad and left, but would it have killed you to buy their dinner?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)