Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone one here have a child in a gifted program?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
My 7 year old dd will be tested to enter the gifted program in about a week. I was wondering if anyone here has a child that has gone through the same thing. Any advice you could give me to help her prepare? Thank you!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:35 PM
You can't prepare her.

My daughter was tested for all subjects but only accepted into the music program. That doesn't mean she isn't super bright, just not what they were looking for I guess.

Music is more advanced classes and music theory along with field trips and exposure. It's wonderful for her. She is in 5th grade and will continue with it until graduation.
lapcounter
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM
She has been in a gifted program since a young age. There is nothing to do to prepare them.
whyfie
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:47 PM
my 2 older daughters are in the gifted program. 1 for reading/english & currently in advanced english (9th grade), the other is gifted in reading/english & math (5th grade). both had their teachers suggest the program due to their grades & apparent ability. we agreed to the testing. i think they start testing 1st grade...my kindergartener will prob get tested as well. there's no preparation, they're testing for ur current level of knowledge & ability.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:47 PM

I don't have a kid that old, but I went through it as an elementary student. Studying or anything won't really help. Just encourage her to relax and do her best, and let her know it's okay if she doesn't qualify for the program.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:49 PM
Cafemom has a very high proportion of gifted students. Good luck joining the majority here!!

On a more serious note, no worries, even if she does not qualify for gifted program, she is obviously very bright and will do great in life!!!
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:51 PM

I have two actually.

There is nothing you have to prepare. Just make sure if they get over or underwhelmed you help them out.

My first son who is sixteen graduated from high school and is through half of his freshman year in college.

My eight year old son goes to a special class a few hours a week. As he gets older they said they want to skip grades. I don't think he is emotionally really yet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM
There's no prep work, the testing is focused On How their brains work really. How they answer questions based on how most kids answer the same questions.

For instance all the kids at my daughters school are tested in second grade one mom really worked with her daughter in reading math all that stuff thinking if she knew more she would do better on the test. I'm talking makingbthe kid do flash cards and work books for higher grade levels stuff like that. I worked with my daughter on normal second grade stuff plus encouraged her to learn things she was interested in by buying her a ton of science books, a microscope, letting her watch videos online, and encouraging her to try her own "experiments" and discussing why things happened the way they did.

While her daughter is very smart and does well she did not test as gifted, my daughter did. At their school the gifted classes are called "personalized learning classes" and it's a lot of project based learning focused around the individual students needs. They still have to meet the grade level milestones but have more freedom on how to get there.
admsj5
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 5:06 PM
I have 4 children in the gifted program.

2 of them have tested in 3 different states. There is no preparation. Just make sure she gets a good rest, eats a nice breakfast, and tries to relax. Make sure to let her know that there is no pressure and that you will be happy no matter the outcome. Sometimes results take months to come back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 5:07 PM

My 11-year-old.

There is no preparation for the testing.  

He said it was pretty hard, he went through 4 phases of testing.  He was the only one in his class, and only 1 of 3 in his grade to qualify for their gifted program.  That was in 3rd grade, he is in 5th grade now.

sammichmaker
by soup sandwich on Jan. 26, 2017 at 5:09 PM

No. Not yet, at least. I just filled out the form sent home so he can be tested.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)