Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

retirement

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

Realistically.... not what your dreams are, but based on what you are currently doing financially......... when/at what age do you think you/your spouse will retire?  How do you view your retirement years?  (what do you see your self doing)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lapcounter
by Race Mom on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:35 PM
Late 50's.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Nice!  And what do you view your retirement lifestyle?  Same house?  Down size?  Travel? 

Quoting lapcounter: Late 50's.

left.drowning
by Fix Me on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM
I own and operate a farm. Everyone in my family has worked up til they died. I plan to do the same.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:38 PM
No spouse. I haven't thought about retirement. I'm 46 and my Dd is 9.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:39 PM

Hubs will retire at 65.  Our youngest will have been out of the house for 10 years by then.  We plan on a LOT of travel..... all over the world.  But that is 13 years away and I am ready to start going places NOW.  

lapcounter
by Race Mom on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:39 PM
Same land different home pretty much same lifestyle and hopefully traveling watching our girls playing college basketball.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Nice!  And what do you view your retirement lifestyle?  Same house?  Down size?  Travel? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah..... you have one at home for a while still!

Though, 55 is still on the young side to retire.

Quoting Lunarprancer: No spouse. I haven't thought about retirement. I'm 46 and my Dd is 9.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice that you can retire while kids are still in college.  That wont work for us.  There was simply no way to save enough for kids college, pay off the house, and retire that young.  We live in a high col area.

Quoting lapcounter: Same land different home pretty much same lifestyle and hopefully traveling watching our girls playing college basketball.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

LuLu1001
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:44 PM

My DH will retire in about 5 years when he is 66. Our home and our rental properties will be paid off.  At that point we will have "our guy" look at the numbers to see when I can retire.  I am 13 years younger than DH so I will probably work at least another 5 years.  We will probably travel more often, we only take two or three vacations per year now, volunteer and spend time with family.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:44 PM

So how does that work?  At some point you cant work the farm, so are there multiple families living on the farm?  At some point you need to slow down.... do the kids take over the majority of the work at some point?

Odd question....... but are people buried on the farm?  How big is the farm?

So did you give your kids a choice aobut their career... .or is it simply a given?  What about the cousins?  Do all the kids become farmers?

Quoting left.drowning: I own and operate a farm. Everyone in my family has worked up til they died. I plan to do the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)