Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I still give my kids allowance even if they don't do chores.

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:31 PM
  • 32 Replies
I didn't think this was strange but apparently many people tied the receiving of allowance to their kids completing their chores. I don't connect the two so many of my mom friends think I'm an odd duck. Lol

If you give allowance to your children, is it as payment for them doing chores? Can they get it taken away or reduced for not completing their chores?
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM
Mine don't get an allowance. They do get paid if they help with our kettle corn business at festivals though.
Savmaralamommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM
They get allowance regardless...it is not tied to chores....I want them to learn how to manage money and allowance is a good way to start.
ChildOfTheLight
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Quoting Savmaralamommy: They get allowance regardless...it is not tied to chores....I want them to learn how to manage money and allowance is a good way to start.

Exactly! My mom friends had never heard of my way of doing it. I admit my parents linked the two together when I was a kid but I don't think my kids should be paid for something they will be expected to do as an adult for free.
susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:43 PM

I don't think kids should be paid for doing their parts to maintain the home they live in. I don't like it when kids think they should be paid every time they lift a finger. I do think that kids need to learn how to handle money,and have some to spend as they like, but it should not be tied to chores.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:45 PM
No allowance here. Bump
HellHound
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:45 PM
I give my son money just because. He does chores because he's a member of the household and as such should pitch in to make it run smoothly.
NiamhWitch
by Póg mo thóin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:48 PM
My son gets $10 when he earns 3000 points on his chore app.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:48 PM
My son has jobs he is expected to do daily and weekly, for free, because he is a member of the household.

If he wants to earn money it's up to him to discover a chore (we live on several acres with livestock.) that needs to be accomplished and negotiate a rate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:53 PM
My son gets paid for doing chores. He thinks I can get money just by going to the bank and asking. I want him to learn that you have to earn money.
kcangel63
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:54 PM
What chore app?

Quoting NiamhWitch: My son gets $10 when he earns 3000 points on his chore app.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)