Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm just so....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

....tired of my husband loosing his job.   I'm not sure if it's just the industry he's in or what...after 8 years of being at one job as a computer admin, he switched to computer programming, and in the four years he's been doing that he's had 3 jobs, with 3-6 months out of work in between those.  We just now got out of debt this week, and he lost another one.   We homeschool our youngest, and I do take up subbing while he's out to help out, but it doesn't pay much... and I can't take something longer term while we homeschool.     The pay keeps going up with each job, which is nice, but I would trade that for some stability.    It was just so nice not to not have to worry about money for a while, and now we're right back to having to watch every cent. 

Just had to vent somewhere I could do it anonymously.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Police departments are always looking though his background would need to be squeaky clean.  Most city jobs are often looking for computer people and next have him check local colleges/universities, also hospitals and laboratories.  He needs to look at places with more job security such as local governments, hospitals and schools. 

TheAnnieMac
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:22 AM
2 moms liked this

What is the reason for his "losing" his job? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:22 AM

He's officially a contract worker and they just extend his job every week (so basically don't need a reason to let him go), but they've been doing that for nearly a year now and he said some of his coworkers have gone for years and years like that in that job.  He's one of the newest workers, they're having a hiring freeze, and he was struggling to figure out a solution to a problem they had...missed some deadlines without coming up with an answer for it.  So he was on the chopping block.

The job before that they got rid of his whole department because the company was struggling....it wasn't just him layed off.

The job before that they hired him for one thing (a contract job with the government).   That needed a very serious background check, which took way longer than they expected to get  (it was still being processed 8 months in--not denied, just still processing)...so a couple months in they tried to put him somewhere else temporarily but it required a differnent skillset than what they had actually hired him for and he didn't do well in the other position. 

Quoting TheAnnieMac:

What is the reason for his "losing" his job? 

shadow_lark
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:27 AM
You wouldn't like what I've got to say, so here's a bump for you. Good luck
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:48 AM
So put your kids in school and go to work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:36 AM

Have him find a stable job.

left.drowning
by Fix Me on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:38 AM
Let him homeschool and you work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Df says that he's lucky that he found a stable job in that field and that to make good money doing computer programming/coding, you have to job hop with contracts. We are ok with taking less money for the job security, but he got lucky getting into his job. He was a contract, but everyone on that contract got offered a job with the big company.

Good luck.
JalynSpoon
by CajunTarHeel on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Why can't he teach the kids & you work? There are too many ways to fix this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

That's very, very common in IT. To be expected actually. It happens to all of my IT friends all the time. They know it's coming so they save and are always able to find another job quickly. It's definitely the industry (where I live at least). The difference is these people I know don't have spouses or kids. It might be time for him to get into something more stable. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)