• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Graduate school commencement

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I'm almost done with my masters in special education and I am allowed to walk in June. However, I'm not sure if I want to. I walked for my bachelors but that was from UC San Diego so very prestigious. My masters is from national university so not very prestigious. Would you participate in the commencement ceremony?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely! Prestigious or not, you deserve to be recognized for your achievement. There is something powerful walking across that stage and being handed your "diploma".
ranchmama21
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:40 AM
Who cares if prestigious or not. That sounds more about social snobbery rather than celebrating a goal.
OhSara87
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:40 AM
Definitely walk!!!

I've decided to go back and finish my teaching degree and now have to decide what grades. Part of me is saying go with secondary
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:43 AM
Quoting ranchmama21: Who cares if prestigious or not. That sounds more about social snobbery rather than celebrating a goal.

Some people feel national university is not as good as other places since most of the courses are online. I'm finishing my teaching credential at the same time (I'll be able to submit that paperwork mid April) and then only two more classes for the masters. Requirements are be done with classes by end of September to be able to walk in June.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:44 AM
Quoting OhSara87: Definitely walk!!!

I've decided to go back and finish my teaching degree and now have to decide what grades. Part of me is saying go with secondary

I will be done with my teaching credential mid April. Then I get to wait 3+ months for the application to be approved. I prefer k-5 moderate severe sped.
redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:44 AM
I would walk. I never planned on walking undergrad or grad. But I spent two years working through the program with my cohort and wanted to celebrate with them. Not in a cheesy we're bonded for life now and I'm going to miss you way. Just a "hey, we did this and we rock" way. My boss made a nice dinner for me and my family after my masters ceremony.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:45 AM

Sure would, I earned it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:45 AM
I'd walk. Congrats!
ranchmama21
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:47 AM
Let them think that then. It is their opinion but your decision at the end of the day. I am on my second degree for college level. Cheaper to transfer to university from a college.

Congratulations and walk! You earned it.

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting ranchmama21: Who cares if prestigious or not. That sounds more about social snobbery rather than celebrating a goal.

Some people feel national university is not as good as other places since most of the courses are online. I'm finishing my teaching credential at the same time (I'll be able to submit that paperwork mid April) and then only two more classes for the masters. Requirements are be done with classes by end of September to be able to walk in June.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:47 AM
ABSOLUTELY, YOU EARNED THIS
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)