Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you explain

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
To a 4 year old that their best friend passed? Our dog, she passed about 10 minutes ago, and he's going to wonder where she is tomorrow...
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:59 AM
He went to doggie heaven to care for the puppies up there
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:00 AM
I've always been honest with my kids about death. We've had pets die and they were told that they died and weren't coming home again.

They are aware that everyone and everything dies, eventually.

It sounds morbid, but it's the truth. And I don't sugarcoat it with "in a better place" or anything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:01 AM
Thank you

Quoting smorgan865: I've always been honest with my kids about death. We've had pets die and they were told that they died and weren't coming home again.

It sounds morbid, but it's the truth. And I don't sugarcoat it with "in a better place" or anything.
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:02 AM
Be honest. Death is a part of life. I hate when people think it's so damn taboo. Let him know the dog died and is in heaven if that's your belief.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:04 AM
I agree. I guess I'm just trying to find the wording he'll understand

Quoting iwicked: Be honest. Death is a part of life. I hate when people think it's so damn taboo. Let him know the dog died and is in heaven if that's your belief.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:04 AM

It depends on your faith traditions and what you believe. Tell your truth, and answer his questions honestly. I think the rainbow bridge is a beautiful tradition if you are willing to believe that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:05 AM
Thank you

Quoting tsatske2:

It depends on your faith traditions and what you believe. Tell your truth, and answer his questions honestly. I think the rainbow bridge is a beautiful tradition if you are willing to believe that.

CaliBear8405
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:10 AM
This.
We even had a small funeral like in Poltergeist

Quoting smorgan865: I've always been honest with my kids about death. We've had pets die and they were told that they died and weren't coming home again.

GKmoms18
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:15 AM
I had a really hard time explaining to my son whe. My dd passed. He had trouble understanding that dead meant not coming back, since we all say things like the phone died etc.

I told him about life and death and that when people die they're gone.they can't come back.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)