Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pain

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

I was having this discussion with my husband comparing two different surgeries that I've had.  I told him that my current pain is way worse than the pain I had from my previous surgery.  I honestly think it is.  The previous surgery was a tubal ligation.  It was painful, but more like cramps and the pain was easily taken care of with a couple Advil and some rest.  Currently, I am recovering from a tonsilectomy and the pain in my ears has to be the worst pain I have ever felt in my life thus far.  It literally feels like someone is stabbing the inside of my ear with a needle sometimes and the pain medications seem to wear off a lot faster than I would like.  Distracting myself from the pain is also much harder than it had been in the past.

So while I am sitting here waiting for yet another round of medication to kick in, I got a bit curious.

What is the worst pain you have ever felt?

Do you tend to view previous pain to be not as bad as a more recent pain?

Also, have you ever had a surgery or procedure that you regretted getting after it was done?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Catherinesmom12
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:51 AM
Take the meds don't wait that's crazy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:52 AM
I had a tonsillectomy a couple years ago. It was painful!

I've had kidney stones and infections and a close second to the winner was pancreatitis (horrific) but the most pain was three broken ribs. One was clicking every time I moved and completely fractured. They almost had to surgically Lin it after 8 months of not healing. Ugh!!! Anyway, I think that takes the cake.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:54 AM

Oh.  I am not waiting.  I took them, but they don't kick in really fast.  For some reason, they don't give you much liquid medication after the first week, which makes it even harder.  So I am sitting here waiting for the stupid pill to kick in.  They put me on alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen after the first week, which they do to avoid people getting addicted to the narcotics, but I think I wish the weeks were switched.   The first week was no where near this bad.

Quoting Catherinesmom12: Take the meds don't wait that's crazy

TheAnnieMac
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:59 AM

My worst pain ever was when I had gallstones and they were migrating into my pancreas. I dealt with that joyful experience for over a year before it got properly diagnosed and my gall bladder was removed. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:00 AM
I think we forget pain from the past. We know something hurt but we aren't experiencing it at the moment so it's not as bad. Adult tonsillectomies are known to be very painful. I had it as a child and don't remember ear pain. I know I barely ate for almost 2 weeks. Child birth is the only significant pain I've had as an adult. If you aren't feeling well enough for Tylenol/Motrin let your surgeon know. You shouldn't have to suffer endless to avoid an addiction. Another week or so wouldn't cause it. I hope you feel better soon!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:02 AM

Three broken ribs?  Ouch.  That does sound horrifically painful as does the rest of it.   Did they eventually do some sort of surgery to help it or did it finally just start healing on it's own?

It's been about seven or eight days since I got my tonsilectomy.  It was fine for the first four days, and then all of the terrible pain.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I had a tonsillectomy a couple years ago. It was painful! I've had kidney stones and infections and a close second to the winner was pancreatitis (horrific) but the most pain was three broken ribs. One was clicking every time I moved and completely fractured. They almost had to surgically Lin it after 8 months of not healing. Ugh!!! Anyway, I think that takes the cake.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:10 AM

I never had tonsilitis until I was an adult.  They don't know what caused that either.  I just kept getting it for four months and then my tonsils wouldn't go down.

I agree that another week or so wouldn't cause it.  I know they have to be cautious with medications, but I'll admit that I've been in tears due to this.  It is starting to lessen a little bit, but not much, just enough to be there and manageable.  I'm just praying for a bit more relief so it is easier to sleep.

Thank you.  I hope I feel better soon too.  I heard adult tonsilectomies are bad and get worse the older you get. I'm only 29, but if it is this bad now, I could only imagine how bad it would have been if I would have had to get it later down the road instead.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I think we forget pain from the past. We know something hurt but we aren't experiencing it at the moment so it's not as bad. Adult tonsillectomies are known to be very painful. I had it as a child and don't remember ear pain. I know I barely ate for almost 2 weeks. Child birth is the only significant pain I've had as an adult. If you aren't feeling well enough for Tylenol/Motrin let your surgeon know. You shouldn't have to suffer endless to avoid an addiction. Another week or so wouldn't cause it. I hope you feel better soon!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)