• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Text to boss:

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies
"I'm having really bad menstral cramps today, I can barely get out of bed. If it's okay, I'm going to stay home?".

Same text 3 months in a row.

Boss replies: "Will you be needing the whole day? My wife gets something from the Doctor for that, it really helps her".

Thoughts on the reason and the text exchange? Legitimate reason or poor excuse? Completely appropriate or TMI? (I'd be interested in the perspective of Employees vs. Employers too).

Note: I'm neither the employee or the boss in this situation!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:46 AM
Maybe he is just sick of you taking offm
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:49 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not me. I should include that.

Quoting left.drowning: Maybe he is just sick of you taking offm
catonastick
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:49 AM

Texting to call out of work??

People really do that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Definitely TMI. I'm sick would've been better.
TheAnnieMac
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:52 AM

Yeah. I have also had people's parents call in for them. Not young people either. 

Quoting catonastick:

People really do that?

readyforhim
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:55 AM
She should tell her dr this, not her boss.

The boss' wife would hate this exchange.
TheAnnieMac
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:55 AM

I think it depends entirely upon how close the employee and the manager are. I have had bosses where that would be perfectly reasonable, other jobs where it would definitely be TMI and unacceptable to call out via text. 

I would think that at this point the boss is giving suggestions because he is tired of receiving the same text every month. I wouldn't call his reply out of line, but again, depending on how close they are I would be irritated if I was his wife and he was sharing info about me and my cramps to an employee. 

The best course of action in 90% of cases would be for the boss to give the employee a verbal warning for attendance, and require a doctor's note for future sick absences. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:56 AM
I work with someone who every month needs the first day of her cycle off due to cramps. Its annoying. One of us always has to cover her shift.
I get bad cramps too. I have PCOS and so does my one other co worker. We suck it up take some pills and go to work.
My boss gets tired of the call offs. She hates when we text her that we won't be in.
Anyway If I were the person I would see a doctor and get meds before I lost my job
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:57 AM
They do! Buy in fairness to this employee, that's how the boss prefers it rather than a call waking up his family at 5am. This way he way he can start planning ahead as soon as he wakes up.

Quoting catonastick:

People really do that?

JalynSpoon
by CajunTarHeel on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:00 AM
1 mom liked this

TMI on both parts especially since one is a female & one is a male.

I would NEVER call out due to a period. I might leave early, but to not show up at all? Give me a break.

I have told my old boss a lot of stuff, but we were close & we hung out away from work sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)