Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Makeup work 3rd grade

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
My son missed school Monday for a funeral. I emailed the teacher and called the office. Yesterday I looked in his backpack and found a note requesting he finish 6 math pages (2 from Monday hw, 2 from Tuesday's hw, 2 from class), 2 nights of spelling hw, typical 20 minutes of reading, and wordly wise since it was due Wednesday and the class finished it in class on Monday. He's 8! I had him work on Tuesdays hw first and sent back a note that said he'll finish as he can but to expect all of that done in one night was overwhelming.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:21 AM

Usually it's 1 day for every day you missed to complete the work.

mrsmom110
by NO on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:23 AM

That is a lot of work for 3rd grade.  They just keep piling it on the kids.  Hopefully his teacher is reasonable and doesn't deduct points for being late.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:25 AM
Homework doesn't disappear when you don't go to school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mrsmom110:

That is a lot of work for 3rd grade.  They just keep piling it on the kids.  Hopefully his teacher is reasonable and doesn't deduct points for being late.  

I'm a teacher as well and my school doesn't even send hw home. I like this school in every other way though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:28 AM
My DD is 9 and would have had it all done but she is a perfectionist and a straight A student. I tell her all the time she doesnt have to get it all done in one night but she wants to.
mrsmom110
by NO on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Luckily since you are a teacher too, his teacher will be a little more willing to work w/ you.  GL

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting mrsmom110:

I'm a teacher as well and my school doesn't even send hw home. I like this school in every other way though.

Kmary
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:30 AM
Are you sure she expected it back in one night? She sent all the missed work, which is what she should have done. But that doesn't automatically mean she expects it all back the next morning.
GLO682
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:30 AM

that's a lot of work, i would have him work on as much as possible and turn it in.

and then the next day do some more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:30 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I would have had him complete the homework for Tuesday and then work on the homework from Monday. If he did not finish, I would have him continute working on the homework he has missed tonight.

Quoting Anonymous 1: My son missed school Monday for a funeral. I emailed the teacher and called the office. Yesterday I looked in his backpack and found a note requesting he finish 6 math pages (2 from Monday hw, 2 from Tuesday's hw, 2 from class), 2 nights of spelling hw, typical 20 minutes of reading, and wordly wise since it was due Wednesday and the class finished it in class on Monday. He's 8! I had him work on Tuesdays hw first and sent back a note that said he'll finish as he can but to expect all of that done in one night was overwhelming.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:32 AM
Quoting Kmary: Are you sure she expected it back in one night? She sent all the missed work, which is what she should have done. But that doesn't automatically mean she expects it all back the next morning.

She wrote a note specifying for it to be turned in completed tomorrow
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)