Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nothing like going out in the backyard and finding a mean stray dog

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:47 AM
  • 20 Replies
Took the kiddos outside only to see a small dog on the chair outside. Kinda laughed and then went door to door trying to find the owner. The next door neighbor came home and told me he's seen the dog for the last couple of days and he thinks it's a stray. I tried getting close to the dog, it's cold and I was willing to put him in the garage, but he growled at me when I got a few feet from him so I went inside and called animal control.

I hate to do that but I can't have a strange dog in the backyard either. Especially one that seems mean.
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OrangeBalloon
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have done the same thing. Hopefully, the dog is chipped and they can find the owners. 

PJMM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:50 AM

I had a pit get into my backyard and it was barking at my cat recently.  I yelled at it and it bolted.  I had to change the lock on my gate.  Strange pits worry me because I don't know how they were raised or trained.

JaniceLitman
by Ohh. My. Gawd! on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:50 AM
I hope so

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

I would have done the same thing. Hopefully, the dog is chipped and they can find the owners. 

JaniceLitman
by Ohh. My. Gawd! on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:53 AM
There's a small broken part of the fence he came through and now won't leave.

Quoting PJMM:

I had a pit get into my backyard and it was barking at my cat recently.  I yelled at it and it bolted.  I had to change the lock on my gate.  Strange pits worry me because I don't know how they were raised or trained.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I've had dogs jump my fence and come into my front yard to try and get my dog. I don't care if they're nice or not, they are being let loose to run the neighborhood and it pisses me off. Animal Control here won't do anything though. If you contact them they tell you that you have to first attempt to contact the owner and until you've done that they won't even come out to investigate. I told them the animal does not have a tag, am I supposed to just wait and spend my day following this animal around until it goes home?
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:56 AM

I would do the same.  I don't mess with stray dogs.

Quoting JaniceLitman: There's a small broken part of the fence he came through and now won't leave.
Quoting PJMM:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

the reason it growled doesnt mean its mean, it means its scared and cold, like you said. 

you did the right thing though, they will hopefully help find its owner. 

JaniceLitman
by Ohh. My. Gawd! on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM
This is a huge county, she took down the address and my name and phone number but couldn't tell me when someone would be out here to get it. Not even a hey about 4 hours from now. Nothing. Just that they would come.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've had dogs jump my fence and come into my front yard to try and get my dog. I don't care if they're nice or not, they are being let loose to run the neighborhood and it pisses me off. Animal Control here won't do anything though. If you contact them they tell you that you have to first attempt to contact the owner and until you've done that they won't even come out to investigate. I told them the animal does not have a tag, am I supposed to just wait and spend my day following this animal around until it goes home?
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:01 PM

This is going to sound mean but if animal control is going to act that way I'd tell them I did try to find the owner and couldn't contact him.  If they still refuse to come out I'd get a bb gun or a paint ball gun that will sting and zap the dog so it runs for the hills.  It's not your job to try to catch some aggressive dog.  That is THEIRS and if they aren't going to help oh well so sad.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've had dogs jump my fence and come into my front yard to try and get my dog. I don't care if they're nice or not, they are being let loose to run the neighborhood and it pisses me off. Animal Control here won't do anything though. If you contact them they tell you that you have to first attempt to contact the owner and until you've done that they won't even come out to investigate. I told them the animal does not have a tag, am I supposed to just wait and spend my day following this animal around until it goes home?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:12 PM
Yeah, at least around here I realize that the only thing Animal Control is concerned with, is the registration of pets. If you don't have your pet registered, or they think you own a pet and don't have it registered they leave notes on your door demanding you register your pet or face a hefty fine. And I get it, you should read register and license your pets and all that, but it doesn't seem that the actual controlling of loose and stray animals has anything to do with what they do anymore. I've actually considered trying to invest and find one of those loops on the end of a long stick that the animal control uses. That way I could attempt to safely remove an animal from my yard. Because I know that they will be no help.

Quoting JaniceLitman: This is a huge county, she took down the address and my name and phone number but couldn't tell me when someone would be out here to get it. Not even a hey about 4 hours from now. Nothing. Just that they would come.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)