Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What sport?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

Do you think it's possible for  a high school kid to 'jump into' a new sport if they have never played before? My son has always played baseball (2nd-8th grade). He did one year of Cross country in middle school. This is his Freshman year, and he doesn't want to play baseball.  We keep looking at other sports, and he is convinced that because all the other kids who would be playing a sport would have lots of experience, then he is not going to be bale to just jump in. ideas?

He gets good grades. I cannot seem to get him to find a club or activity to join. I've been pulling my hair out making suggestions, etc. Most of his friends are 'jocks', so I know that is influencing his opinion. Not only is it important for his college resume to be a part of groups and clubs, but I want him to 'break out of his shell' and make more friends. He can be very shy and introverted.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JalynSpoon
by CajunTarHeel on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM

Soccer, basketball, golf, debate team, or whatever your school offers.

No idea.. Sorry.

Here is a bump.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:18 PM

Possible but I won't lie it is very difficult.  He will have to try out and if he never played before unless he has natural ability chances are he won't make the team. 

There are hundreds of clubs in school they should be listed somewhere but are usually signed up for during the school year. 

g33k
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:20 PM

how about martial arts of some kind?

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:21 PM

My Freshman joined a service club as well as the Gay/Straight alliance and art club. Although she plays sports as a neurotypical partner for Special Olympics, she isn't interested in high school sports and found other things that interested her. 

I would make a lost of all of the clubs and activities offered and have him choose one to start. That is what we did with our kiddo. That one turned into her joining several more and she also does some activities in other clubs although she isn't a member. 

Devilish_One
by I'm Done on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:22 PM
What's he good at other then baseball?
eztwins
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM
Lacrosse. Track.

I think it has more to do with if they are naturally athletic on how easily they can change sports
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:29 PM

I jumped into swimming. I was new to the neighborhood and pressured into it because they needed members. I ended up quitting. It was A LOT of work. 5am-10pm on meet days with school in between. Suggest wrestling or something with minimal equipment costs in case he quits. 

Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:35 PM

He'd probably be on the JV team.  Not a big deal, it allows him to gain skill.

Otherwise look at sports outside of school.

Or some other kind of club.  Talk to the school counselor, they'd know what's available at your school.

An alternative option is that he simply doesn't really want to join something and doesn't want to admit it to you.

And, no, extra curriculars aren't mandatory to get into college.  They're nice bonuses, but not vital.  Good grades, a stellar essay and showing a willingness/eagerness to study hard and do well are.  Don't let the publications tell you otherwise.  they're in the business of making money off of parents fears.  And one of the biggest is that Little Johnny won't get into the "right" college without the "right" credentials.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:54 PM

Is he just stuck on something at school? 

If he is willing to try something outside of school, Martial Arts is great for anyone at any age or skill level. Martial Arts is amazing for introverted kids. I have one introvert and one extrovert. My introvert is now a 2nd degree black belt and has made some great friends at Karate. My extrovert has made great friends and is getting better at self control and discipline. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:55 PM
Volleyball
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)