Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how would you handle this??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
Another post got me thinking....

Ds7 is forced to call sm 'mom' but isnt allowed by his dad to call anyone else dad. So ds cant choose to call my dh 'dad' bc his dad says its bad to call another man dad but ds HAS to call his sm mom.

How would you handle this??

Yes ds had started to call dh 'dad' for a time.
Yes i have addressed this with my x. His belief is his wife is ds stepmom and is entitled to be addressed as mom, but no other man should be addressed as dad bc he is involved and it will only confuse ds.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Wtf? His mom is in the picture too. Your ex is fucked up.

beco8627
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I would tell my child to do what he feels comfortable doing.
AllieReed
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM
This is so dumb to me. Kids only have one mom & dad. I don't like how people try to make things more than they are. I'm a BM & stepmom. DD also has a stepmom. There's no need to call step parents anything other than their names. It doesn't lessen the bonding or anything else.
ZamilyMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Tell your ex he is out of his mind if he expects to have it both ways. Insust he choose A. Call both SM and SD mom and dad or B. Call neither mom nor dad. I woukd nit so kibdlt explain tbat yoy ate an involved mom and calling SM mom us no less confusing than calling SD dad.
Famousglm714
by Gina on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Quoting beco8627: I would tell my child to do what he feels comfortable doing.
CheerioHolder
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM
I wouldn't do anything. I'd leave it be and let the boy grow to resent his father for his ridiculous double standards all on his own.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM
I think a child should choose what they call step-parents.
GLO682
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:33 PM

Your son should be allowed to do what feels comfortable and natural to him.

charm2mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
His logic makes no sense. Why won't he be confused about calling sm mom if you are involved. He should not be forced to call anyone anything if he doesn't want to.

Since your ex isn't making any sense, I think you need to need to talk to your son so that he doesn't feel caught in the middle.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:35 PM
Tbh i wouldnt mind is so much if ds decided to call sm mom on his own.

My dd is 13 and her dad is not involved and she will SOMETIMES call dh dad.

I have told her a mom/dad isnt someone who is just a bioparent but its someone who is there everyday.

Quoting AllieReed: This is so dumb to me. Kids only have one mom & dad. I don't like how people try to make things more than they are. I'm a BM & stepmom. DD also has a stepmom. There's no need to call step parents anything other than their names. It doesn't lessen the bonding or anything else.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)