Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Course

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
As part of requirements for my divorce I have to take a co-parenting class.

There are 12 chapters. The first was all well and good. It was about how to navigate the website. How to save and log in and out etc.

The second chapter however seriously put me off.

It was about anger and anger management. Great. But it kept referring to me (or the course taker) as a "poor parent" and saying that we wouldn't be taking the course if we weren't poor parents.

And then I had to take a quiz, which I failed, where a lot of the answers were "i admit im a poor parent" or similar self deprecating things.

I am NOT a perfect parent. But I for damn sure am not a poor parent. And what does this have to do with co-parenting after divorce anyway?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:57 PM

Is this a new thing? I have never heard of taking parenting classes so you can get a divorce.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:59 PM
I had to physically go and take a parenting class before my divorce was granted. It was long. What state are you in?
MissAndree
by Nosuchthing on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:59 PM

My ex dh and i had to take co parenting classes when we got divorced, and they were nothing like that. I find this rather unbelievable. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:03 PM
I am in Tennessee. I am taking the course online. I had to get written approval from the Clerk of Court before going the onlime route. It was fairly simple.

The course she assigned me, however, is awful.

The physical class is only offered once a month in my county and keeps getting cancelled due to inclement weather.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I had to physically go and take a parenting class before my divorce was granted. It was long. What state are you in?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:11 PM
As far as I know it is not new.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Is this a new thing? I have never heard of taking parenting classes so you can get a divorce.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:12 PM

What state I went through a divorce 14 years ago and didn't have to do a parenting course.

Quoting Anonymous 1: As far as I know it is not new.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:13 PM
Tennessee. I know my sister had to take one 10 years ago.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

What state I went through a divorce 14 years ago and didn't have to do a parenting course.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:14 PM

Dude, it's a one-size-fits-all online parenting course.  Just click and get done with it and don't take it seriously.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:16 PM

Hmmm my case was in California. I just asked DH if he had to do it in his divorce 18 years ago and he said no, his was in Virgina. So it must be new or state by state.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Tennessee. I know my sister had to take one 10 years ago.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:18 PM
That sounds ridiculous, is it possible they put you in the wrong class? Not everyone that gets divorced is a poor parent and it sounds like that is certainly not the case for you. Is there someone you can talk to? I have heard of parenting classes being common during a divorce with children but making you say you are a poor parent when you aren't is unacceptable. I wouldn't give them the answers they are looking for because they may hold it against you in the future. Ask for a different class that will better suit your needs, not that you need a class.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)