• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight loss surgery....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

Has anyone had it? 

I am considering it, I am 5'6in and weigh 354lbs, I have 3 kids and just want to get healthier for them and for myself.

My PCP referred me to the bariatric team and a nutritionist.

I am waiting for test results to come back to see the nutrionist

I have to attend a seminar at the end of this month for more information. Then they will schedule me to see the Dr.

I know it's a long process and wont happen over night, in the mean time I am trying to eat healthier and tracking what I am eating and have stopped drinking soda/tea all together.

I haven't told anyone I am even going on this path because I don't want to have them bugging/asking and questioning me about it. So until I know a little more of the path that I am taking I am working on this on my own.

What is your experiance? 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:08 PM
I've never personally known anyone to succeed with weight loss surgery. All 4 are now as obese as ever.

If you don't fix the reasons behind your overeating, the surgery won't work long term. You'll lose a bit, then start gaining again.

Just being honest, sorry.
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:08 PM
I looked into it, but if I can follow the plan to lose the weight
Prior to surgery, I might as well try that plan and skip the surgery

Because if I can't get a handle on WHY I overeat and fix that
The surgery won't help me
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:10 PM

This.  I've known more than a few who have had various surgeries for weight loss.  Initially it worked, but they went back to the unhealthy lifestyle and being stationary.  They gained it all back.

I think therapy would be a good place to start before a surgery so the individual can gain knowledge and tools on what makes them over eat in the first place. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I've never personally known anyone to succeed with weight loss surgery. All 4 are now as obese as ever. If you don't fix the reasons behind your overeating, the surgery won't work long term. You'll lose a bit, then start gaining again. Just being honest, sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:11 PM
Btw, if you just cut out the carbs and sugars...no more than 20 carbs/day, you would shed weight like it was water. You don't have to feel deprived to lose weight, you just have to eat the right foods. A diabetic diet plan is a great resource if you aren't sure what that means.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:12 PM
My husband got the bypass done 5 years ago. Best thing g he ever did for our family. But also the hardest.
Mommy_Bee_
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:13 PM
I looked into it but decided not to. I went from 300 lbs to 220 lbs doing the 21 Day Fix.
Starting it again today.
Karopie_99
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:14 PM
My uncle had it done 2 yrs ago. He said the liquid diet at the beginning was a tough adjustment. And once he could start eating solid foods again, he got full very quickly! Within a yr he was half the size he was. Now he's at 182lbs. And he looks great! He has tons of energy too! Also good thing to cut out soda/anything with carbonation. If you get the surgery, having anything with carbonation will give you pain. The best thing you can do is stay active, cut carbs/sugar. More protein too. This will help you lose the required weight to do the surgery as well as help you get on the right mental path to deal with these diet changes. Instead of eating whatever you want, do surgery and boom you have to cut back. Good luck!
DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:14 PM

You can do it without the surgery. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM

I've never done and I used to think I'd love to get it.
My brother had it done last year.  He's finally starting to even out; at first he was so thin he looked deadly.  Now hes kind of finding a much better looking and healthier weight.  
He is so limited on what he can eat that its almost a constant obsession about it.  And then the medications/pills he must take every day for the rest of his life...that's what changed my mind completely.  

Good luck to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:21 PM
I personally wondered this as well for myself. I over eat and make poor choices. Surgery doesn't fix that problem.

I just wish I could find a way to fix it.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I've never personally known anyone to succeed with weight loss surgery. All 4 are now as obese as ever.

If you don't fix the reasons behind your overeating, the surgery won't work long term. You'll lose a bit, then start gaining again.

Just being honest, sorry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)