Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being a single parent sucks!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
So I have a one year old, a job, living on food stamps, can't afford daycare even with me living in an apartment that goes by your income. My sons dad doesn't do anything or pay anything cause he has ssi disability and they won't take it out for child support. My life has just become a mess and it sucks. I'm thinking about getting a second job because I don't like living on food stamps. But if I do that I will never see my child. Yeah I've come to the point I want to cry. I'm also a diabetic and I can't even afford my insulin which cost 500 bucks. And it's my freaking day off and my son is napping and I'm not ok. Please tell me being a single parent gets easier?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:21 PM

Oh my goodness, the insulin thing has me concerned for you.  

blondieinva80
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:21 PM
It does. If your child's father is on ssid,thetc should be providing your child something because he's unable you work. It will take a while,but it does get easier. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:22 PM

well they do grow up and move on, so I guess it gets easier, but it also gets lonely. hang in there, one day you'll be asking where did the time go.

DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:23 PM

Why did you get pregnant?  Being a single parent is hard.  If you don't like it, give your child to someone who's ready to be a parent.  Have you talked to SS about the insulin?

GLO682
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:24 PM

it gets easier.

and then hard on some days.

and then easier.

i have heard the price of insulin is ridiculous.

I hope that you qualify for some help for that.

do you not have any family that can help you out with the baby so you don't have to pay childcare. or try to apply for subsidized child care perhaps?

and i thought that disability does pay some kind of support to the child, you may want to look into that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:25 PM

Anywho, life for me is great as a single parent.  Ex pays child support on time, takes her every other weekend, and is able to take time off work if she gets sick.  

I do get the weekly grind, but I don't mind.

edited:  I read it as SSDI initially.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:25 PM
At some point you won't need daycare. Work and go to SCHOOL/learn a trade. Then you can get a decent job instead of trying to get by on minimum wage service work.
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
If you qualify for food stamps you should also qualify for Medicaid and then you won't have to worry about your insulin that will be covered. The way I feel about it is that the state is going to allow your ex to get off the hook for helping to financially provide first child than the state should be picking up the slack. I'm sure people will disagree with me but I don't think the state has the right to put you one hundred percent on the hook for your child while letting your ex off the hook. It will get better. You have to remember in just a few short years your child will be in school and providing you send him to public school that is free. Even before and after school care if needed is a lot cheaper than take care. Have you tried getting some kind of subsidy for daycare?

hart57
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:26 PM
Not a lot of advice for you, because I'm unaware of resources available to you.

But suggestions for a second job, babysit at your home or dog walk (would only work in nice weather). Find something your baby could be with you. Some evening daycare will allow you bring your child.

It will get better, just going to take some work and time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:27 PM

I'm suprised you don't qualify for Medicaid based on being a poor single parent to a dependent.  You might want to check on that.

Who provides your child's health insurance?

Call United Way for help with your insulin.

If you do have Medicaid try Home Care Delivered for your dibetic supplies: 1-888-565-4411

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)