• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bible Study has turned into a Bday Parties

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

I've attended a Women's Bible study that meets every other week for well over a year now.  In september one of the ladies decided to start celebrating everyone's birthday.

It's turned into this whole tado.  It takes up so much time.  We have to recognize the person, decorate, sign a card, bring a gift if you want, have cake, sing the birthday song, and pose for pictures. 

Enough is enough.  I don't really think birthdays are a big deal.  I'm debating saying something.

I also feel obligated to bring a little something for the birthday lady.  We a group of about 16+ women it seems like just about every week I have to stop and buy flowers or a small gift.  I'm tired of it.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jadegirl1819
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:34 PM

That would get annoying.

sammichmaker
by soup sandwich on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:35 PM
Sounds like it is defeating the point of 'Bible study'.

I really do not have much advice. Im not religious. Good luck, though.
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Maybe see if you can extend one of the Bible study meetings a month by maybe 30 minutes and after the Bible study you can celebrate everybody who has a birthday that month.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Maybe find a different club? Or something else that you like to do?

kgsharber
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:41 PM
That sounds like so much fun to me, maybe you should leave and find another group instead of ruining their fun.
laceyyyy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:42 PM

I would join a new bible study group.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:43 PM

I'd say something to the leader of the group.  Tell her you will no longer be participating in any of the birthday activities.  Remind her that its a bible study group and all these parties are taking away time from learning about the lord.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:44 PM

That's what I am thinking.  I hate to leave them because they are a very supportive group of women, but I just don't want to celebrate birthday after birthday. 

I don't mind bringing something for the pastor's wife or the "social director" (as we like to call her) because they do so much for us.  But the cake and gifts and presents every other week or just too much for me.  It's overkill.

Quoting kgsharber: That sounds like so much fun to me, maybe you should leave and find another group instead of ruining their fun.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:45 PM

Or maybe we could do seasonal birthday.  THis way it's once every 3 months (4 times a year).

That's an idea.

Quoting SAHMJC: Maybe see if you can extend one of the Bible study meetings a month by maybe 30 minutes and after the Bible study you can celebrate everybody who has a birthday that month.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:47 PM

That's what I am leaning towards or at least that's what I want to say, just need to work up the assertiveness.

Maybe I'll say that and then add in celebrating birthdays by season.  So everyone who has a Winter birthday gets a honored in say January.  Spring Birthday in April.  A summer birthsay in July and a Fall birthday in October.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I'd say something to the leader of the group.  Tell her you will no longer be participating in any of the birthday activities.  Remind her that its a bible study group and all these parties are taking away time from learning about the lord.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)