Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too late

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
I got pregnant right out of high school. My ex's parents were so concerned that my child would ruin my ex's life that they did everything possible to make things harder for me and get my ex off of any kind of financial responsibility. They spent probably thousands and thousands of dollars on Hotshot attorney is to prevent my ex from having to pay child support when I can pretty much guarantee you the amount that they spent on the attorneys was more than he would have had to pay for child support. It wasn't even like they were spending the money to try to get custody or something like that. They wanted to make it so that they're poor baby boy I was not burdened with the responsibilities of a child.

Well fast forward to my child being four years old. I hear from a mutual friend from high-school that my ex has gotten in a car accident and died. Turns out he was drunk. They never called to see about my child going to the funeral or anything or even to make sure that I even knew that my ex had died.

Now a year later they have decided that they want to play grandparents. They realized that my child is the only grandchild they're ever going to have from their son. I told them know too little too late. My child does not need people like them in her life. I reminded them about how they made sure that me and their grandchild struggled so that their child wouldn't be burdened with any kind of responsibility. I told them about how I worked and went to school and had to bust my ass doing the work for two by myself because of the way they acted and the way they raised their son to be. I told him that now my life is good I have a good job I married and my child has a good life and she doesn't need hateful people who are only interested in her because she is the only option they have. They got angry and threatened me with grandparent's visitation rights which in our state the only possible way you can get them is if you've had a pre-existing relationship with the child. Usually the only people who get them or grandparents who the child lived with for a period of time and then went back to the parents but the parents don't want them having the relationship with them anymore.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:35 PM
Good for you. I'd do the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:36 PM
Thanks I just don't see a point in it. They're not interested in my child for my child's sake. They're interested in her because she's their only option for a grandchild. Interesting Lee because for years they swore that the court screwed up and that she wasn't even biologically his because she doesn't look like him. But she looks exactly like me

Quoting Anonymous 2: Good for you. I'd do the same.
sammichmaker
by soup sandwich on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:37 PM
You handled that well.

Good luck! And *hugs*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you

Quoting sammichmaker: You handled that well.

Good luck! And *hugs*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
My first thought was, "the more people a child has in their life to love them, the better". But, it's clear that they don't love the child. They feel like the child is all they have left now of their son so their trying to come crawling back.

Yeah, things don't work like that with me.

Sucks that he died, but they should have thought things through before all the legal bla bla bla.

What they're doing is actually pretty pathetic.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thanks I just don't see a point in it. They're not interested in my child for my child's sake. They're interested in her because she's their only option for a grandchild. Interesting Lee because for years they swore that the court screwed up and that she wasn't even biologically his because she doesn't look like him. But she looks exactly like me

laceyyyy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

ok I'm going to play devils advocate, I totally understand where you are coming from and would feel the same way also. The other part is, well its not your life. Its your daughters life, you don't have to allow them to take her away for weekends etc but if they want to start with baby steps then so be it.

Good luck on whatever it is that you decide to do, seems like a tough decision.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:41 PM
I'm sorry it was such a sucky situation.

I don't get how he got out of paying for support though? I don't get how it why courts would allow that.

Good for you though I am glad you held strong on that and that you and your little are ok.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:41 PM
If it was a situation where the more people who love her the better that would be one thing. But they don't love her. They went out of their way for 4 years to make sure that their son wasn't inconvenienced by her existence. You cannot tell me that all the sudden they love her

Quoting Anonymous 2: My first thought was, "the more people a child has in their life to love them, the better". But, it's clear that they don't love the child. They feel like the child is all they have left now of their son so their trying to come crawling back.

Sucks that he died, but they should have thought things through before all the legal bla bla bla.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thanks I just don't see a point in it. They're not interested in my child for my child's sake. They're interested in her because she's their only option for a grandchild. Interesting Lee because for years they swore that the court screwed up and that she wasn't even biologically his because she doesn't look like him. But she looks exactly like me

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:43 PM
Um... did you not read what I said? ...

Quoting Anonymous 1: If it was a situation where the more people who love her the better that would be one thing. But they don't love her. They went out of their way for 4 years to make sure that their son wasn't inconvenienced by her existence. You cannot tell me that all the sudden they love her

Quoting Anonymous 2: My first thought was, "the more people a child has in their life to love them, the better". But, it's clear that they don't love the child. They feel like the child is all they have left now of their son so their trying to come crawling back.

blessed107
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:44 PM
I wouldn't even acknowledge them period.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)