Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a deadbeat change her last name in child support court?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I'm wanting to file for child support (on a deadbeat) but I was just informed that he can request to change her last name while in court!  Is this true?  I would hope that someone who has never been there for my daughter and chose to walk away would not have that much control...is this true?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:42 PM

Never hear that. I'd ask a lawyer. Here is a bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:42 PM
I've heard fathers can request it. I don't know how often it gets changed or if they would in this case. I wouldn't let that stop me from seeking CS.
CStarz
by Rabble Rouser on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:43 PM

He can request it but it doesn't mean it will happen. In my area he would have to go through a ton of hoops for that to be considered. I have never heard of a successful bid to change a child's last name when the custodial parent does not want it changed. 

How old is the child? Is the father on bc, did he sign it? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:46 PM

My daughter is seven years old and has already told me that she never wants to see him again.  She's only seen him a handful of times, and he completely ignored her. I gave up on trying to make him want to be involved in her life. I'm finally wanting to file for CS but I would hope that a judge would not side more with him.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I've heard fathers can request it. I don't know how often it gets changed or if they would in this case. I wouldn't let that stop me from seeking CS.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:46 PM

He can request it, doesn't mean the judge will grant it though.  My ex demanded that DD's name be changed to his last name, the judge asked me if I agreed and I said no, explained why, and the judge denied the name change.  The judge told ex that if he was so insistent on DD "knowing who her daddy is" that he actually be a father to her and use his visitation wisely to get to know DD. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:47 PM
A quick search shows it can be requested and changed through a court order. It's not easy and varies from state to state. They'd have to prove it's in the child's best interest.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:51 PM

She is seven and he's not on the birth certificate. He has never wanted to pay child support and he actually walked away as soon as he found out that I was having a girl. He told me that he didn't want a daughter and I guess he was telling the truth since he's never been there for her.

Quoting CStarz:

He can request it but it doesn't mean it will happen. In my area he would have to go through a ton of hoops for that to be considered. I have never heard of a successful bid to change a child's last name when the custodial parent does not want it changed. 

How old is the child? Is the father on bc, did he sign it? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:58 PM

Were you married?  Check the laws in your state.  In my state about 10 years ago the Supreme Court decided that children of unmarried parents do NOT have to have the father's last name.

Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:00 PM

Depends on how long he has not been involved. Yes he can ask the courts to hyphenate the name, my step daughter had to but Dad has been around since day 1. Mom was just bitter. If Dad sees the child and there is a relationship, then maybe. Dont let that deter you though, file for support anyways.

I just read your response. After 7 years...probably not.

Marivilla
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:01 PM
My coworker requested it during her daughters custody case. The judge approved it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)