• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those that have converted to a plant based diet

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM
  • 32 Replies
Any tips on what made you successful?

Favorite meals?
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:08 PM
I've been vegan for 20 years. Are you just looking to change your own diet, or is the change for your entire family?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:14 PM

After I moved to los angeles I found it very easy to be plant based.  The fruit there is delicious and cheap.  I moved back to new england and the fruit here is overpriced and bland.  Not being able to carb up on lots of fresh fruit makes it difficult to find a calorie source.  It got boring eating just potatos and grains, y'know?  I went back to dairy and eggs once winter hit.

In. L.A. I felt great eating plant based and was in the best shape of my life.  I would start off my morning with a high water content fruit such as a whole papaya, half a watermelon, or several oranges.  After morning yoga I would take a smoothie with a bit of protien powder in it to work.  For a late lunch i would have a big salad, and then after my evening workout I might have quinoa salad, vegan sushi, potato wedges, loaded sweet potatoes, or the like.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Read "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
Rydersmommy616
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:19 PM
Oh hell no
No thanks lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:20 PM

I just enjoy it better than an omnivore diet. It wasn't a struggle to skip the animal products. I did it slowly over a period of time. I kept eating what I always had just figured out ways around the animal products. I went for the veggie versions of meat for a short period but found that it was expensive and really just not that great. I lean more toward raw vegan but don't stress about sticking to it perfectly and eat cooked or dairy at times. It has been about 10yrs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM

What about vegetables?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

After I moved to los angeles I found it very easy to be plant based.  The fruit there is delicious and cheap.  I moved back to new england and the fruit here is overpriced and bland.  Not being able to carb up on lots of fresh fruit makes it difficult to find a calorie source.  It got boring eating just potatos and grains, y'know?  I went back to dairy and eggs once winter hit.

In. L.A. I felt great eating plant based and was in the best shape of my life.  I would start off my morning with a high water content fruit such as a whole papaya, half a watermelon, or several oranges.  After morning yoga I would take a smoothie with a bit of protien powder in it to work.  For a late lunch i would have a big salad, and then after my evening workout I might have quinoa salad, vegan sushi, potato wedges, loaded sweet potatoes, or the like.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:28 PM

well, my salad alone would usually meet my daily recomendations for veggies.  I also always put kale in my smoothie.  Besides that I didn't focus too much on veggies, especially not cooked veggies like most people eat.  High carb vegans usually don't focus on veggies really because they aren't calorie-dense, plus they are always packing in so many nutrients from fruits we don't need them.  When I did my cronometer while doing high carb vegan I was usually at sometimes 200 percent (and at least 100 percent) for all vitamins and minerals besides b12 which I supplemented for, and vitamin d which I got from the sun 

Quoting Anonymous 5:

What about vegetables?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:32 PM

Vegetables are very low in caloric density. Eating the way she did and I do means a person needs large amounts of fruit to get the calories they need to have energy.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

What about vegetables?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Trouser.Mouse
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:39 PM
I'm ready to convert, but my family isn't quite on board. I'm hoping to slowly up the percentage of their diet to being plant based. Maybe when they see that you can still eat well and have delicious foods, they'll decide it is okay.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've been vegan for 20 years. Are you just looking to change your own diet, or is the change for your entire family?
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Switched to the opposite, a meat based diet and my hunger levels have dropped and have had no cravings for sweets. More energy too. It's actually very freeing to not have to really think about food as much.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)