• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Big family-friendly vehicles

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

I recently became a single mom and quickly had to move the kids and myself out of state. My sister very graciously let me use her van to move and get the kids to our new home, but she took it back and we've been mostly taking public transit to get places now.

I finally have a steady job and have just enough saved to buy a cheap used vehicle for the family but I don't really know which vehicles in my budget are practical/kid friendly. I used to have a Honda Odyssey that I loved but that is definitely not in the budget. I have 5 kids aged 6, 5, 3, 3 and 1 so the vehicle needs to be able to fit 5 car seats/boosters. 

Do any of you moms of multiple young kids have any suggestions for a mini-van/suv that is kid-friendly and easy on the wallet?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Famousglm714
by Gina on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:07 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:09 PM
I have a Honda pilot that seats eight.
simplemom
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:10 PM
What is your budget?
admsj5
by Emerald Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:10 PM
My extended length Ford Expedition seats 8 and I had 5 in car seats at once.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:11 PM

I need to stay under $5000 for sure. Preferably under $4k but I know it might be tough finding something reliable that cheap.

Quoting simplemom: What is your budget?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:20 PM

Thanks! Do you find it relatively easy to load kids in and out? How's gas mileage? If I may ask what do you like and dislike about it? I found one on Craigslist that I could probably swing, although it's at the very top of my budget.

Quoting admsj5: My extended length Ford Expedition seats 8 and I had 5 in car seats at once.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM
Look at a Nissan Pathfinder.
seximami111
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:28 PM

I have a Yukon Xl seats 8

Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:31 PM
Not within that budget. Lots of luck. I drive a passenger van but it was over $50,000.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:38 PM
I would stick with a Honda Odyssey or a Pilot. I found my 2004 Pilot with 103k miles for $4,500. Dude was asking $6,000. I asked if he would consider taking $5,000. He said he would. After I test drove it and DH looked it over we offered him less and he took our cash offer. My husband and I have had many, many Honda's over the years and with routine maintenance they'll easily go to 300k miles. I don't know where you live but in my area I can find 2003-2005 models under $5,000.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)