Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is over feeding your child abuse?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
Me and my friend were having a discussion and she thinks it should be considered child abuse when parents feed their kids so much that they become obese/fat and don't encourage them to be active and healthy...

Do you consider this "child abuse"? Why do parents allow their child to be overly fat/obese if they don't have any medical issues?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM
Abuse, no
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM

Yes if it causes detrimental health problems and they don't do anything to try to incorporate in healthy meal after being ordered to by the child's doctor

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see how that would ever be considered child abuse, unless they were physically shoving food down their child's throat and forcing them to eat. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:11 PM
It's neglect.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:11 PM

NO.  There are many parents that feed their thin kids  lots of crap, yet they don't get fat.  I can think of several families like that.   I am so tired of fat bashing, I really am.   If these parents should be charged with abuse, any family that feeds their kids lots of junk food should be as well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:11 PM

Nope.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:12 PM
Because it's detrimental to the child's health and neglectful.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

I don't see how that would ever be considered child abuse, unless they were physically shoving food down their child's throat and forcing them to eat. 

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:12 PM
Exactly this, also once a child hits a certain age you cannot control everything they eat unless you home schools and never let them leave your sight.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:13 PM

What about the parents who feed lots of junk to their kids but the kids don't get fat?  Are they any better?   I saw many families that eat like crap when my kid was growing up and many of them just did not have the genetic tendency to get fat.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Yes if it causes detrimental health problems and they don't do anything to try to incorporate in healthy meal after being ordered to by the child's doctor

AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:13 PM

I think if their weight is impacting their overall health... then yes, it's abuse (like if the child has type 2 diabetes or obstructive sleep apnea directly related to their weight)  I think the same is true if you had an asthmatic child and you smoke around them... same kind of thing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)