Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Propranolol

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Has anyone taken propranolol daily for general anxiety? If so what dosage worked best for you and how much did it help? Did you have any side effects?

My anxiety has gotten a lot worse lately and I think that's also why I've been feeling so depressed. I've been too afraid to try anti-depressants or anxiety medication like ativan or xanax etc because I heard that those often make you feel super drowsy or out of it and I have to drive multiple times a day so I refuse to take anything that I can't take and be able to drive safely on shortly after taking the meds. I am also terrified of becoming addicted or having withdrawals if I stop taking it.

A friend recommended propranolol which is a blood-pressure medication but in smaller doses is perscribed for social/performance anxiety. Apparently it isn't mind-altering but helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety. This seems like the safest/most appealing option to me, but before I go to the doctor I wanted to know other people's experience with this drug and if it helped them or not.

Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't taken it, but I know how the medication works in the body, and it does block the body's reaction to adrenaline so it would probably work well for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:47 PM

thanks!

Quoting corticosteroid:

I haven't taken it, but I know how the medication works in the body, and it does block the body's reaction to adrenaline so it would probably work well for you.

lalalamama
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:48 PM
I've had to take beta blockers, not propranolol but something similar. I need them for an arrhythmia, not anxiety but they work well at controlling the physical side effects of anxiety. For me, it keeps my pulse from racing even if I'm flooded with adrenalin. I don't feel dopy or groggy. The side effects I've had were sometimes seeing halos around lights at night.
Good luck!
Catherinesmom12
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:49 PM
Thought it's a heart med
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:49 PM
This

Quoting corticosteroid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM

Thanks for your input! :) 

Quoting lalalamama: I've had to take beta blockers, not propranolol but something similar. I need them for an arrhythmia, not anxiety but they work well at controlling the physical side effects of anxiety. For me, it keeps my pulse from racing even if I'm flooded with adrenalin. I don't feel dopy or groggy. The side effects I've had were sometimes seeing halos around lights at night. Good luck!

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM

It is, but it's a sympathetic antagonist, so it helps suppress the fight-or-flight reaction.

Quoting Catherinesmom12: Thought it's a heart med

AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:52 PM

I've been on it for my blood pressure... I can't say that I felt any effects related to anxiety.

I'm on a beta blocker now, and I would say that it's better at controlling heart symptoms related to anxiety

But in general... I don't think either would work well as an anxiety medication.

lalalamama
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 9:01 PM
Beta blockers control the physical symptoms of anxiety. It's a banned substance for athletes (think archery, biathlon). Violinists and public speakers often ask for prescriptions because it stops physical effects of stage fright. It doesn't make the worry or fear go away, but people who suffer from panic attacks are often more scared of the shortness of breath and pounding heart.

Quoting AmiJanell:

I've been on it for my blood pressure... I can't say that I felt any effects related to anxiety.

I'm on a beta blocker now, and I would say that it's better at controlling heart symptoms related to anxiety

But in general... I don't think either would work well as an anxiety medication.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)