Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Avoiding foods

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
If you're trying to avoid sugar or carbs or whatever..how do you avoid eating that stuff when your kitchen is full of it?
No, I can't just get rid of all of it so I dont have to see it.
How can I get myself to grab the carrots instead of the caramel popcorn?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 5:07 AM

Actually you shouldnt even grab the carrots because they too are considered one of the higher carb veggies.  Out of sight out of mind and frankly just not buying it.  I have vegetables but the lower carb veggies such as cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and asparagus.  Of the fruits, I keep mainly to berries and apples, though i still have higher carb options for the kids.  I try and reduce the processed foods in my home overall by not buying them.  After a while, you do lose your craving for them. 

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 5:10 AM

Mental tips to get you through is to think of the sugar as glass shards going through your veins.  Think of the sugar as poison. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2017 at 5:15 AM

Carbohydrates are a quick source of energy and lets face it.  They're cheap.  Eating a high veggie diet is expensive.  Sure I'd like to eat less carbs but I can't afford it.  End of story.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:45 AM
I don't have the energy or desire to fight the entire family to get them to eat the way I need to.

Quoting MixedCooke:

Actually you shouldnt even grab the carrots because they too are considered one of the higher carb veggies.  Out of sight out of mind and frankly just not buying it.  I have vegetables but the lower carb veggies such as cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and asparagus.  Of the fruits, I keep mainly to berries and apples, though i still have higher carb options for the kids.  I try and reduce the processed foods in my home overall by not buying them.  After a while, you do lose your craving for them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:45 AM
I'll try that

Quoting MixedCooke:

Mental tips to get you through is to think of the sugar as glass shards going through your veins.  Think of the sugar as poison. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I've found that veges end up being cheaper than breads and boxed starches.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Carbohydrates are a quick source of energy and lets face it.  They're cheap.  Eating a high veggie diet is expensive.  Sure I'd like to eat less carbs but I can't afford it.  End of story.

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:48 AM

Prep healthy snacks and meals and keep them handy, that will make it easier.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Prep the veggies and have them in a little bowl on the counter-grape tomatoes, or in the refrigerator in little baggies already cut up, so it's easy to grab them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:51 AM
Examples? Maybe the real problem is I actually DONT KNOW how to eat healthy, tasty things. How sad. But really I never did learn. All I can think of is celery, broccoli, cucumber slices..that stuff gets boring then I can't look away from the tasty poison in boxes and cans.

Quoting corticosteroid:

Prep healthy snacks and meals and keep them handy, that will make it easier.

jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:53 AM
Have the healthy stuff available in large amounts and variety. Nuts, seeds, cheese, sliced veggies. Don't keep sweets in the house only buy for treats and immediate consumption. No one needs sweets anyway. As for bread and other carbs I'm lucky that our diet doesn't include them much anyway and I can easily say no to rice which is what we normally have. I have a ton of carb free noodles on hand because I love me a good noodle dish. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)