Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh Jury Duty

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:18 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

Because I don't have enough shit to worry about. I got summoned for Jury Duty March 6th. I have appointments, girl scout/cookie stuff, moving, working, and DS to deal with. I got summoned a couple years ago and nobody would watch my kids for me, literally everyone said "just take them with you, they'll excuse you quick if you show up with your kids." I got excused but told if I try that again I would be locked up for contempt of court after sitting in a small, crowded room with two rowdy kids for two hours. I even sent in a letter trying to be excused because I am my kids main and mostly only caretaker this time of year. My brother and his wife always have an excuse why they can't help me. I don't trust my sister and her husband because of how I've seen them parent first hand, she can't drive and he likes to take off and not answer his phone so if something happened I wouldn't know about it.(Sister has epilepsy, seizures triggered by stress plus she works most mondays.) 

With that, it's left to MIL, SIL, and SM. SM has severe COPD so just getting DD off the bus for me that day is going to be a challenge if the allergy index is high it will further complicate things because of her asthma. SIL works with her BF and they will definitely be working. MIL says she will take DS for me but she forgets things often because of all the stuff she has to do so I have to remind her several times. 

I hate that I have to ask them so much to watch DS. I can't take him to our thinking day event because it'll be too much on me to keep an eye on him and all the girls that stop at my table. If I wasn't manning a table I would see about taking him but he gets board easily and a room full of rowdy girl scouts+DS is not a good mix. I can't take him to either booth sale but DH should be home for at least one of them if not both so I should be fine. 

No point to this post at all. Just venting about stupid timing of jury duty. Writing it down helped put some things in perspective and all the thoughts aren't just swimming around in my head. I wanted to keep busy and I certainly will be kpet incredibly busy!

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:20 PM
Jury duty or selection?
Pink.Sunshine
There goes another fake a** relative now dead to me. Bye 👋🏾
Yesterday at 2:56 PM
by Petty Princess on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:21 PM

They never want me  💁🏾

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:22 PM
I have to go march 8th.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Just reschedule.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I love it.

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

They never want me  💁🏾

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:23 PM
I had jury duty this week. Thank fuck they didn't need me to actually come in either day. I get a summons every year. I'm seriously considering tracking down the 3 citizens in charge of the master juror list and bribing them to take my name off of that shit. LOL
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:24 PM

When my kids were young, I was excused as I was the main caretaker (sahm) of kids under 12.  They asked for my youngest's birthday, and I thought for sure I'd get another summons the day after her birthday, but they waited 4 more years.

I served on a trial that lasted 4 days, it was 5 or 6 years ago.

My husband was just selected for a jury - first time he's ever been summoned in 35 years of being an adult, living and working in 3 different states.  Estimated to be a 3 week trial.  He's livid.

crochetnewb
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:26 PM

Quoting Ted1242: Just reschedule.

I can't reschedule. I have to send in a letter to try and be excused but it will likely get denied like last time. I've talked to several people since the first jury incident that went through the same thing. The courts here don't care at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:27 PM
The quickest way to get dismissed from that is to tell them you work in law enforcement or you believe in the deth penalty. The working in law enforcement reason works for me every time
crochetnewb
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:28 PM

Quoting Not_A_Native:

When my kids were young, I was excused as I was the main caretaker (sahm) of kids under 12.  They asked for my youngest's birthday, and I thought for sure I'd get another summons the day after her birthday, but they waited 4 more years.

I served on a trial that lasted 4 days, it was 5 or 6 years ago.

My husband was just selected for a jury - first time he's ever been summoned in 35 years of being an adult, living and working in 3 different states.  Estimated to be a 3 week trial.  He's livid.

3 weeks?!? I'd be pissed! DH thinks he's exempt because he never registered to vote but my state changed the law and I keep telling him the clerk of court even said it, if you have a drivers license in my state you can get pulled. He's more likely to get out of it though, especially in the winter months because he is away on the trawl boat 98% of the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)