• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

More funding for mental health needed NOW!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

Okay this is a very, very very, rough draft, first draft and all

I am writing a letter to the leader of my province (since I am in Canada) about the lack of funding for mental health. Need some help cleaning it up, adding to it and all. I know the grammar is horrible but I just need ideas. 

To Whom it may Concern,

My name is XXXXX and I am a mother to an 11 year old son. He has numerous diagnoses including ADHD and Disruptive Mood Deregulation. He also struggles with depression and anxiety. I went to my local Child and youth mental health and was taken in for a referal meeting. He was deemed high risk and was promised to be seen very soon by no fault of their own it has taken over eleven months. That is with me calling almost weekly and other professionals calling.

With this being an election year I want to know what you plan to do. I have been a loyal Liberal voter. Saying that though I need to put my son's needs and the needs of children and youth like him first. I am certain that if he did not have the support of myself and his family he would have been just a statistic, another suicide.

Funding for mental health needs to be extended there is no reason a child should have to wait nearly a year to be seen for out patient care.  

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:42 PM
I would address the disparity issue and let them know everyone in Canada should be treated for mental health issues in a reasonable amount of 9f time. I would question why this isn't being done.

I would point out your son is a danger to himself and others and they will be held accountable if anything happens to him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Quoting iwicked: I would address the disparity issue and let them know everyone in Canada should be treated for mental health issues in a reasonable amount of 9f time. I would question why this isn't being done. I would point out your son is a danger to himself and others and they will be held accountable if anything happens to him.

Thank you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM
Any more advice I know it's a rough draft just need more.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2017 at 3:29 PM

I changed the title to hopefully get a little more help. 

Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 3:33 PM

I'm not sure at the moment but I'll think about it and get back to you.  In the meantime, here's a bump.

hotspice58
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 3:35 PM

I'm sorry you and your son are going through this.  I also have a son with mood disregulation; it's no joke.  There needs to be a ton more funding for mental health. 

Nicholy10
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 3:35 PM

I think it is awesome you are doing this. I hope it works!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 16, 2017 at 3:38 PM
I know in NS our mental health is a joke. You can go to crisis but there is issues with staffing.

An old friend brought in his fiancé after she attempted suicide (while alone with two small children). They did not do a 24 hour hold and told them to do suicide watch at home. This happened several times.

Dfs father attempted suicide and no one informed the family and released him after making sure he wasn't injured. They didn't know, a week later he was gone.

As a teen I attempted suicide and was out of the hospital 8 hours later & told a crisis worker would be in contact for follow up... it never happened. It makes me fear for my children
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 16, 2017 at 3:42 PM

Quoting hotspice58:

I'm sorry you and your son are going through this.  I also have a son with mood disregulation; it's no joke.  There needs to be a ton more funding for mental health. 

Wow, feels "good" to have someone that has the same struggles. 

hotspice58
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 3:45 PM

You are not alone (even though I'm in the US). I'm saying a prayer for you right now.  Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting hotspice58:

Wow, feels "good" to have someone that has the same struggles. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)