Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone actually doesnt owe taxes or is getting a big refund....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
I feel like an odd ball out but I have always figured how much taxes i should pay every year and pay that amount. I just did my taxes. This year i was off by $75...that i am getting back...the most i have been off is $200 and i owed that amount...lol. but basically i have it set to the right amount pulled out. I make about $90,000 a year.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM
We're getting back $22k. Because of DH's job, it would be incredibly reckless to try for a wash. How much we owe depends on a few factors, and if we don't meet them, we'd be royally fucked. I would rather get a $22k check than to OWE $22k, lol. There was a time when it might have been worth considering a separate savings account specifically for income taxes, but those days are gone. It's just easier this way.
Theresa1209
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:23 AM
I don't "figure out" how much in taxes should be withheld. I just claim the proper amount of dependents on my w2, and my taxes are automatically taken out. The last 2 years I've owed $134.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:27 AM
We're getting back $6100. Last year was $9000 and we adjusted our withholdings. We'll adjust them again this year to get closer to zero.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

We purposefully pay more into taxes to get a tax return back. We don't need it but it's like a savings account we can't see or touch. LOL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:30 AM

I got 10k and I didn't get EIC. The IRS put a block on allowing my husband to claim allowances, so I claim 4 and we still got 10k back.I have 3 kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:33 AM
What do you mean they put a block

Quoting Anonymous 5:

I got 10k and I didn't get EIC. The IRS put a block on allowing my husband to claim allowances, so I claim 4 and we still got 10k back.I have 3 kids.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:36 AM
We got back around $400 in federal, but owe around $300 in state. I think in the end we'll be getting around $150ish.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:37 AM

The IRS sent him a letter saying that he had to claim zero allowances. I guess it was due to me claiming. I don't know. So he leaves it at zero and I put 4 on mine.

Quoting Anonymous 6: What do you mean they put a block
Quoting Anonymous 5:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM
I wonder why?

Quoting Anonymous 5:

The IRS sent him a letter saying that he had to claim zero allowances. I guess it was due to me claiming. I don't know. So he leaves it at zero and I put 4 on mine.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:40 AM

I've never heard of that being done. I thought it was strange. He said he tried changing it with his job, but they aren't allowed to change it as per the IRS so we just leave it. I guess I could claim 5, but 4 is fine for me

Quoting Anonymous 6: I wonder why?
Quoting Anonymous 5:

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)