Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared for my unborn nephew (long)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
My only sibling has been married for 11 years. Before meeting his wife, he dated a girl for years with a son, and was a great father figure to him. Thought for sure he and his wife would have kids since he was always so good with kids, but it has never been spoken of since getting married.

A few times a year, they would ask our daughter over to stay for a weekend or took her on weekend trips with them. She used to love it, but especially the past few years she's not as interested because my brother has lost all patience for any one and anything, and is often not pleasant to be around. As a result, the family began to think it was maybe a good thing they never had kids afterall.

Not to mention the fact that they are very unhealthy. All they do besides work is go out to eat and bowl, and as a result are extremely overweight. My brother at 43 has two bum knees, shoulder problems, etc because of his weight. My SIL is 8 years younger, and while large, is currently still pretty mobile. She ends up waiting on my brother hand and foot because he's always "in pain". He does work full time, plus has a side business, and she works full time as a bio chemist. They are not lazy from a work standpoint, but lazy in pretty much every other way. My brother even insists upon a nap every day.

3 weeks ago, my SIL calls me and drops the bomb that she is not just pregnant, but SIX MONTHS PREGNANT. She told me it was planned, but I am seriously confused because it has become very clear my brother is NOT happy about this. He refuses to even TALK about the baby. It's very awkward to be around him right now.

Between their poor health, the strange wait before telling anybody, my brothers clear unhappiness about this, and my brother's mean attitude, I am VERY scared for my unborn nephew. Of course there's nothing I can do about it, but this is my confession. Our mother is concerned too, and even my 12 year old daughter gave me with a WTF look as my SIL was telling us the news. I don't honestly think my brother will lift a finger to care for this baby, but I'm trying to be hopeful that the birth will spark something in him. I just don't know...

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:13 AM
What? You are concerned because they are fat???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:15 AM
What a strange situation
hateaway
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Hahaha did you even read the post?

Quoting Anonymous 2: What? You are concerned because they are fat???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Did you read the post??? I am concerned because my brother does not WANT this baby, is mean, is unhealthy and likely will not even participate in raising this baby because he refuses to as much fetch his own drink or do a load of laundry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:17 AM
Me and our whole families felling exactly.

Quoting Anonymous 3: What a strange situation
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM
Yes lol.

That's what jumped out at me.

People are strange.

Quoting hateaway: Hahaha did you even read the post?

Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:21 AM

Just be there for your nephew and your SIL.  If your brother doesn't change, there's a possibility that your SIL won't stay your SIL much longer.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:22 AM
I wish I could change people to make them exactly how I wish they would be.

Sounds like his wife has her head on straight.

I'm sure she will do fine by herself if she decides to do it on her own.

Yes, I did read the post.

I will say a prayer for them and hope they get it all sorted out.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Did you read the post??? I am concerned because my brother does not WANT this baby, is mean, is unhealthy and likely will not even participate in raising this baby because he refuses to as much fetch his own drink or do a load of laundry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:24 AM
That is my mom's prediction. Which will be a rude awakening for my brother because he has never lived on his own. He went from living with mom until past the age of 30, to living with our grandma to living with his wife.

Quoting Melissa_4:

Just be there for your nephew and your SIL.  If your brother doesn't change, there's a possibility that your SIL won't stay your SIL much longer.  

stayathommom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:25 AM
Is there a chance he's depressed? Sounds like it, if the behavior (before news of the baby) had taken such a 180 degree turn.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)