Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LPNs

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

When you went to LPN school, what did you find hard about it, or did you find it pretty easy?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:12 AM
Become a RN.
maliffy
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep. This 100%. Start with a community college associates degree program and then keep going from there.

I loved most of the LVN's that I've worked with, but can honestly say they didn't get nearly enough credit (or money) for the skill set they brought to the table.

Quoting iwicked: Become a RN.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:21 AM

I know around here they start at $17.00 and go up to $24 an hour. They have pretty much weeded out the LPNs at the hospitals around here. You can work at a doctors office, or assisted living, or home health.

maliffy
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:31 AM
One of my very best friends is an LPN. It used to drive me bonkers that she got jerked around and paid less than me, even though I would have considered her every bit as competent.

I'm not anti LPN by any stretch, if that's what you want to do, go for it. Nursing is an amazing career. Just look at ADN programs at community colleges before you commit to paying for an LVN program. You might be surprised at how easy and affordable it is.

Our hospital has done away with LPN's on most units, although some of the units that have really intense wounds management still use them for.

I personally haven't seen many at doctors offices, but that varies from place to place.

To actually answer your question, although I haven't been myself, most people I know who went to an LPN program said the worst part was the schedule. It can get hectic with clinicals. Academically, they said it wasn't bad.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I know around here they start at $17.00 and go up to $24 an hour. They have pretty much weeded out the LPNs at the hospitals around here. You can work at a doctors office, or assisted living, or home health.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:05 AM

So, you found the RN program to be easy? I know my sister and some of her friends went to RN school like 8 years ago. They went through some hard classes in that program, but made it. My sister is an Rn at the hospital.I just do not know if I could get through the RN program after watching how hard they had it. I am almost 50 in a couple more years, so I will be fine working for $36,000 to $40,000 a year. If we still have social security when I am 62, then I would just work part time. That is great that you were able to go further with your nursing career. I know my sister is now making like $70,000 a year, maybe a little more now. Like I said I am almost 50 and changing careers. I just hope I can pass the LPN program. I hear the pharmacology can be hard, and some say the antomy can be hard also.

Quoting maliffy: One of my very best friends is an LPN. It used to drive me bonkers that she got jerked around and paid less than me, even though I would have considered her every bit as competent. I'm not anti LPN by any stretch, if that's what you want to do, go for it. Nursing is an amazing career. Just look at ADN programs at community colleges before you commit to paying for an LVN program. You might be surprised at how easy and affordable it is. Our hospital has done away with LPN's on most units, although some of the units that have really intense wounds management still use them for. I personally haven't seen many at doctors offices, but that varies from place to place. To actually answer your question, although I haven't been myself, most people I know who went to an LPN program said the worst part was the schedule. It can get hectic with clinicals. Academically, they said it wasn't bad.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)