Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We don't owe you an explanation we have told you our expectations and if you choose not to follow them this is how it's going to be

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
4 moms liked this
I have a child from a previous relationship. But my husband and I have been together since she was a baby. We also have three more bio children together, he treats all for children the same. We are currently in the process of my husband adopting her. It's just a long process because even though my ex does not see her at all he doesn't want to sign his rights away. My in-laws have always treated my daughter differently. They make sure to attend every single one of our other kids birthday parties but never attend my daughter's. They take pictures and post pictures on Facebook of the children we have together and the only time my daughter is in any of them is if she happens to be in a picture that they've taken of the other kids ( and they have cropped her out before). Did even make comments like when my husband took our daughter to a father daughter dance that it's good that he's getting practice in for his 2 "real" daughters. Now some of you may say that they have the right to not treat her as their grandchild. That if my husband sees her as his child that is absolutely fine but they don't have to see her as their grandchild. Of course I'm not sure how that argument will stand up once the adoption is final because at that point legally she will be just as much his as any of her other children. But here's the fault with that logic. She has no other side of the family. My ex is not involved so she's with us all the time. That means when we spend half of our holidays with my in-laws my daughter is spending her holiday with my in-laws. And I don't think she should have to spend half of every holiday with people who cannot treat her like family. She's ten years old and my husband and I have been together since she was one. My in-laws met her for the first time when she was maybe 18 months old. We don't even bring up the fact that they'll spend five or ten dollars on Christmas gifts for her and fifty or more on her other kids. Or that one year they didn't get her anything at all.

My husband talked to his parents numerous times about the way they treat her. He pointed out that they would not have treated any kid like that. If one of their friends showed up with a child they would not ignore that child. They would probably treat the child the same way all the other kids are treated while they are there. He also told them that it really hurts our daughter's feelings that they never can bother to show up to her birthday but they show up to all the other kids birthdays. They basically told him oh well it is what it is. He told them that she is his child and if they are going to hurt her feelings intentionally then things are going to have to change. Well her birthday was last month and as usual they were invited and as usual they did not come. Despite coming to two of the other kids birthdays the month before. Well now it's our youngest birthday. We had the party on Saturday and they were not invited. We invited many members of my husband's family just not them.

They saw the pictures on Facebook from us and other family members and started blowing up our phones. They Actually had the nerve to say that they were entitled to attend our child's birthday party and they are very upset and just on and on and on. My husband told them that we told them what's going to happen if they continue to snub our daughter. And the fact is our daughter's feelings are more important than theirs. They went so far as to call my daughter names and say that she's a little attention w**** like me. My husband told them to go f*** themselves and that they will never see any of us again.

I have to say I'm so grateful to have a husband who will stand up to his parents and not let his parents treat his family badly
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:37 AM
Bump
Noneya73
by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:39 AM
2 moms liked this
Good for your husband, his parents can go fuck themselves.
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Is this horrible grandparent day?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:40 AM
I am so glad that he's willing to stand up for her. Though if he wasn't he wouldn't be the man I married.

Quoting Noneya73: Good for your husband, his parents can go fuck themselves.
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:40 AM

wtf?they called a child a name?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:41 AM
I don't know this is the first chance I've gotten to post

Quoting iwicked: Is this horrible grandparent day?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:41 AM

I really hope all of that name calling didn't go down on facebook. 

dedhed
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Let's see him floow through and then i will be impressed :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:43 AM
Yes that's what got us more than anything if they called a 10 year old an "attention whore" and then they called me one too. Which was rude and untrue but obviously it pales in comparison to calling a 10 year old that. What gets me is that my oldest daughter is the sweetest child ever and I'm not just saying that because she's my kid. Just such a kind person all of her teachers tell us that how well-behaved she is and how she is and she's just a really good person ( she's also a straight A student so it's not like the teachers are trying to play up her good qualities to make up for the fact that she's not a good student)

Quoting quinnsmom715:

wtf?they called a child a name?

DezarooMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:44 AM
This sucks
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)