Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone take Metformin?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
My doctor diagnosed with me with PCOS Friday and I started the meds Saturday. I had a horrible headache most of the day. Sunday was fine with just a little nausea. I woke up yesterday morning throwing up and felt better. Got nauseous an hour after taking it but felt great and did a three mile hike that afternoon. Last night was awful, I threw up multiple times after dinner and had bloating so bad I couldn't lay down. Finally got it to go away and made a PB&J so I could take my night dose. The bloating came back and I was sick again at 3am. I'm on a 1000mg right now and I'll go up to 2000mg in two weeks. If you've taken it how long did the side effects last? This is pretty damn miserable but I know I need to take it.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Dani1009
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:20 AM
The first time I started taking it, I had terrible diarrhea for 2 weeks straight. Eventually my body adjusted. But that was so tough. I'd suggest eating less carbs & sugary things, sometimes that can upset your tummy while on metformin.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:36 AM
Thank you! I had a burrito for dinner and then the bread later so that makes total sense. I read the paper that comes with it and saw that it said if effects persist... But I didn't know how long they could go.
Creekie.
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:39 AM

You're supposed to start them slowly, take one dose a day for a few days.  Then up it to 2, then eventually to 3.  It wrecks your body until you're used to them.  Expect to feel like crap for a few weeks.  Also, yes eating well while on it makes the transition easier.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:48 AM
I thought the dosage sounded high. I take 500mg at night and 500mg in the morning. I saw my regular doctor's partner and she didn't tell me a thing. Just that I have PCOS and these meds will help regulate the condition. And that it could cause nausea. Most of the stuff I'm finding online is geared towards diabetics. Thank y'all so much! I can handle it as long as I know it's normal.
JaniceLitman
by Ohh. My. Gawd! on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:49 AM
I'm up to 1500.

My doc had me take the extended release, says it's easier on the stomach. And they had me start off at half a pill for 10 days and then a whole pill for 10 days.

I had the shits for a good 3 weeks from it but I've now been taking it for 2 years and I'm fine.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:50 AM

One day I had diarrhea. Wow you are on a lot. My dr started me off with 500mgs a day for a month. Then we slowly added more as needed. Each month I was added an each 500mg.I got up to 1500mgs and then all the sudden it started to go down. As fast as it went up. I'm at 250mgs for Breakfast and dinner. I need to get my numbers tested again. I'm having some low numbers again.

My Dr did that to slowly get me use to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)