Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suicide; Perspective *Trigger warning* ETA*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
2 moms liked this
For those who don't understand what it's like to contemplate or attempt suicide, please read this.

"The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."
-David Foster Wallace

ETA: I'd appreciate if we could stop harassing those sharing their perspective on being affected by suicide. It's unfair to expect them to consider our perspective while totally ignoring theirs. I know a lot of you feel very strongly about this subject, as do I. But let us not allow those feelings to cloud our judgement and close our ears. It is unfair to dictate how someone should or shouldn't react to trauma in their life.

The best possible way to undo the taboo stereotypes concerning mental health and suicide is start a real dialog about it. But in order for there to be a dialog there has to be more than one side. Let's make progress, with open hearts and minds by listening, considering other perspectives, true communication. And please, I implore you to do so with compassion. You never know who is suffering, or the affect just a little kindness and patience might have.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:08 PM

BUMP

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:08 PM

I get it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:11 PM
As someone with failed suicide attempts I think that describes it well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow! Very thought provoking. I've been to the edge. In fact I'm pretty much there right now. The only thing holding me is my kids. I couldn't do that to them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:20 PM
His whole life and body of work are a tribute to surviving with treatment resistant depression. Until, he couldn't of course.
I've always need a great fan of his. Another of my favorite writers wrote a great piece on why he didn't have to die--very illuminating. It was either Dave Eggers or Jonathan Safran Fouer.
Also, a great movie about his last months called "The End of the Tour".
Not entirely accurate biographically but a really humanizing, touching portrait.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:21 PM
I'm probably going to get a lot of shit for saying this. But oh well, I for one do not believe in attempted suicide. If one is actually going to kill themselves, then they are going to make sure they do it right. Like blowing off your head, downing a bottle of pills, not fucking slitting your damn wrist in hopes you die!!
I think ones claiming they "attempted" were just too chicken shit to actually go forward with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't tell you how many times my DD has been my saving grace. As horrible as the flames can be, I'd burn for her if that's what I had to do. I hope you can find some peace soon. *Hugs*

Quoting Anonymous 5: Wow! Very thought provoking. I've been to the edge. In fact I'm pretty much there right now. The only thing holding me is my kids. I couldn't do that to them.
Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:30 PM
Yes.Yes. My kids are my saving Grace. Thank you sweetheart. Same to you. Keep fighting the good fight. My doc prescribed me some antidepressants. They help a little. Luckily I have a really amazing, understanding doctor. I have a lot of medical issues too and they're undiagnosed so we're working on that as well.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I can't tell you how many times my DD has been my saving grace. As horrible as the flames can be, I'd burn for her if that's what I had to do. I hope you can find some peace soon. *Hugs*

Quoting Anonymous 5: Wow! Very thought provoking. I've been to the edge. In fact I'm pretty much there right now. The only thing holding me is my kids. I couldn't do that to them.
Traci_Momof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:34 PM

There's been a lot of depression and suicide in those around me.  I had a cousin who died at the age of 29 from an overdose of anti-depressants.  (Side question is someone can answer for me:  Is it possible to truly "accidentally" overdose on anti-depressants?  Or is the quantity needed so great that it could be nothing but deliberate?)  Our close friends have an 18 year old daughter who recently OD'd on anti-depressants but luckily her mom got to her in time.  My own mother tried slitting her wrists not once, not twice, but three different times in her life.  Apparently she got scared each time when she saw how much blood there was and called for help at that point.

I've never been there myself, but I know these people would not have done these things if they had normal mental health.  Depression can be a very serious, very deadly disease.

I read one time that a failed attempt at suicide means that the person really didn't want to kill themselves.  That it was just a cry for help.  That if they truly wanted to die that they would have succeeded.  I don't know if it's true or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 2:36 PM
You're missing the whole point. They don't WANT to die. They want to escape the pain. I've attempted suicide, but I was still afraid of the physical pain or suffering that might occur first. I didn't want to shoot myself and mess it up and lie there and suffer until I died or survive with terrible wounds. I didn't want to hang myself and slowly suffocate to death. I took 200 benadryl, and really thought that would do it, that I'd just go to sleep and never wake up. But it didn't happen that way. Nobody WANTS to kill themselves. They feel as if they've been backed into a corner and have no other options to escape the horror and desperation of serious depression.

Quoting Anonymous 7: I'm probably going to get a lot of shit for saying this. But oh well, I for one do not believe in attempted suicide. If one is actually going to kill themselves, then they are going to make sure they do it right. Like blowing off your head, downing a bottle of pills, not fucking slitting your damn wrist in hopes you die!!
I think ones claiming they "attempted" were just too chicken shit to actually go forward with it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)