Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you make a 15 year old

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Walk home from school for bad behavior?

She keeps getting into trouble at school and she has terrible grades. She recently got detention for a while for bad behavior which is what started all this.

Mom in the picture wanted to take her phone when all this started and not let her have a boyfriend but Dad lets her have those things at his house. She has her phone at Mom's too and when Mom tried to take it Dad called the police who said it was Dad's property and she had to give it back.

Now Mom wants to make said child walk one hour home alone from school to think about what she's doing and her poor choices.

Dad of course is flipping out and so is grandma who is the Mom's Mom.

I say it's fine. At that age I was walking everywhere or riding my bike and I was fine. I was also babysitting babies and young kids.

It would be daylight, sidewalks, safe area, etc. People are worried she'll be kidnapped but it's not like she's taking back roads, it's all well trafficked streets.

Also the phone has a tracker so Mom will know where she is at all times.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:13 PM
I used to ride my bike to high school. It was no big deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:16 PM

We walked home from school all of the time.  There were pedophiles and kidnappers back then as well.  We were fine. 

The girl can also call her mom as soon as she starts walking and call when she gets home.

cynnie22
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:18 PM

Since dad won't agree to other methods...

It sounds fine to me.   Really, worried about kidnapping?  Tell dad and grandma to get over themselves.

I bet that long walk will motivate her to change her ways...unless of course she just gets a ride from a friend.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:18 PM
3 moms liked this
No because if the girl is behaving badly she will wind up lingering after school smoking, or go to her boyfriends house etc and not straight home. I'd pick her ass up so she goes immediately home and in her room.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM
My parents always told me that if I ever got detention, don't expect them to pick me up. I'd be walking. I never got detention because I knew they were serious.

That being said, at 15, I'd often walk to the next town over which was more than an hour walk and there was no sidewalk more than half the way there. We walked or rode bikes all over the place at that age...leave in the morning and not come back home till dinner time. I'm only 30, so it wasn't that long ago.
MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:21 PM

It makes logical sense.  Increasing exercise is a well known way to improve a bad attitude and impulse control difficulties.  I say go for it. 

Don't text and drive.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:21 PM

No. I'm one of those nuts that think nowhere is safe, lol. Too many kids come up missing. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:22 PM
This is what I'm thinking, too.

Quoting MrsDavidB25: No because if the girl is behaving badly she will wind up lingering after school smoking, or go to her boyfriends house etc and not straight home. I'd pick her ass up so she goes immediately home and in her room.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:22 PM
Is the girl trustworthy enough to walk home by herself? It doesn't sound like it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:25 PM

When I was that age, walking home was a privlidge for good behavior. I don't think she's trustworthy enough for it. You're better off putting her to work scrubbing down the house and baseboards. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)