Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dog owners, trainers. need help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
My dog can't seem to be trained around other dogs. He gets so anxious! At home, around other people, he's fine. He knows some commands (sit, stay, lay, come, roll over, high five, jump, over and shake).

But bring in another dog and he's crazy. I can't get or keep his attention. He'll whine, bark, pull on the leash.. he'll do the dog speaking thing (look up YouTube videos of dogs speaking, but he'll just continue with his). I've tried holding treats straight to his nose and nothing. I've tried an air blaster, a container that had beads in it. Had him in obedience classes and ultimately we got kicked out. the lady said she'd work with us one on one for the remainder of the sessions but never got back to me.

I took him to the dog park and outside the enclosure, he was a mess- doing his barking stuff and wouldn't stop. Once we got to the fence, he was smelling the other dogs and was fine. Inside, he was fine. Had him on the leash inside when he was tired and he was fine... but take him out of the enclosure, a new dog is about to pass us and boom- he's acting crazy again.... but it feels wrong to reward his 'bad' behavior and going to the dog park. I've watched Ceasar Milan, and he speaks of the calm, submissive state... and I can't get my dog to get in that state.

What do I do? Is it just continuous exposure and eventually he'll get it? Is there something else I should try? I've thought about a trainer coming to our home, but he's fine at home. Nothing sets him off. Its when we're out in public and he sees another dog he can't get to.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 4:38 PM

bump....

i have the same problem

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one! he's such a friendly dog, he knows his stuff... but he just becomes head over heels, uncontrollable when another dog is present

Quoting Anonymous 2:

bump....

i have the same problem

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 4:43 PM

mine too...no training when he was a pup, now he's going on 5 -- doing better arounnd other dogs now, but just seeing one when wer'e in the car will send him into a barking frenzy, thinking he's GOT to go play with that dog....

Quoting Anonymous 1: Glad to know I'm not the only one! he's such a friendly dog, he knows his stuff... but he just becomes head over heels, uncontrollable when another dog is present
Quoting Anonymous 2:

bump....

i have the same problem

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2017 at 9:42 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)