Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you known a kid that would actually starve without the backpack full of food given out on Friday's?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 234 Replies

So this backpack is filled with food for the child who would likely go without food for the weekend. It is filled on Friday's when the kids aren't looking to save embarrassment for the recipient. 

i have heard kids say that it helps because on weekends nobody thinks to feed them or there isn't food at all. So how many times have you come across a kid who actually would go hungry without this program? Do you think it really helps? 

Not being judgmental, I just see the commercials all the time for this and I am just curious about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:08 PM
Yes.
rockyhawk
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never heard of that before, but my kids aren't in school yet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:10 PM
That would be embarrassing to me, as a parent. But whatever works to feed children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

There are kids around here who would go hungry all the time. I'd feed them myself if I could.

ThatDancerGirl
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:11 PM
I haven't come across one personally, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Most people don't advertise that. I'm all for programs that help needy children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:11 PM

Certain kids get food placed in their backpacks on Fridays. Like cereal bars, juice boxes, penut butter/crackers, fruit cups, just little things just for the child to eat so they don't go hungry over the weekend.

Quoting rockyhawk: I've never heard of that before, but my kids aren't in school yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:12 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes. I grew up  in a poor neighborhood so many kids, including myself and my siblings, could have benefited from a program like this. I am glad they offer it now and thank god I don't need it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:12 PM
Several students have told me it's their food for the weekend.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:12 PM
4 moms liked this
I work in inner city Flint, yes, there are children who would go hungry without the food provided at school and for the weekends. We have "meet up and eat up" over the summer so kids can have lunch
Chelsea_rh
by Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
There's a kid in my class. We send food home for him daily.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)