Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!! I don't know how to clean my house!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Ok, so that's not true, but I do need major help. I have been trying to arrive at a more minimalistic style for our home and really just our lives. I'm just tired of being surrounded by "things" it just looks a mess, it feels overwhelming and it causes me a ton of anxiety. I've so far filled up like 6 tall boxes, but still feel like I'm getting no where.

My husband is no help, I feel like he's fighting against me. I keep saying our kids have way too many toys, because they do. They don't even play with a quarter of them and they're always whining they're bored. I keep downsizing their playroom... and my husband keeps bringing more stuff in -_-

So we just found out we have to move in 4 weeks, because the Military house we live in has some structural issues. We're actually being moved to a larger house. Which should be good because well, more space?? But I'm not looking to bring even half of the junk we have in this house with us, I want less clutter and less I have to worry about cleaning. I am trying to pack up this house and fill donation boxes in the process, but I just keep looking around and I feel like I'm getting no where. I clearly don't know how to downsize, or be minimalistic.. HELP!! Lol

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
simplemom
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:25 PM
I feel your pain.
Marivilla
by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:27 PM
Well you have four weeks so that's good. Start throwing shit out every day. Slowly fill one box a day of stuff you're taking and throw out at least five things you don't need anymore.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:29 PM

Try focusing on one room at a time. Leave just the very bare minimum in that room to survive with. Pretend you are camping or on vacation and what would you need to get by. Some stuff you can give away without much thought. Some stuff you know you will need to keep. The maybe stuff pack up and sit on it for a couple weeks. Now, look at it and figure did you need it or miss it? Give it away. If not, you may move with it but find when you get there that you will let more stuff go because it stays packed and you just don't need it. Label every box as you go to keep track.  GL 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:30 PM
I just went through things and started tossing shit. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:30 PM
If you don't use it or don't need it than toss it, dobate it or sell it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:30 PM
This is so simple. Decide what furniture you ABSOLUTELY NEED......Donate the rest
Clothes.....If you haven't worn it in the past year......Donate it
Toys........Give each child a medium size box......They put their most favorite toys in the box. The ones that aren't in the box..... Donate them or throw them away.
Knick knacks....If it's sentimental, you keep it. IF NOT..... Donate or throw away
littlepinkrose
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:38 PM
One room a day. Start with the play room. Clean the entire thing don't stop till you are done. You know what your kids like and play with get rid of the rest. Just put the toys you are getting rid of in a pile outside the room.
When you are done everything you are getting rid of goes. If you want to donate fine. If the toys are clean and in good shape have all parts then they go to a shelter/thrift shop.
All stained, broken, missing pieces toys go in the trash. Take the good toys down the same day. Call shelters/thrift shops to see if they want donations this will help before you leave on where to go.
Do the same in the kitchen, bedroom so on. One room a day. You can do this.
Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:40 PM

This.

If it helps, I'm trying to do the same thing, but I sometimes have trouble giving up things that are sentimental and still "junk".  So I take pictures of things and keep that, but donate/toss the actual item.  That way I can still remember it and what it meant to me but not have it cluttering up my home.

Quoting Anonymous 5: This is so simple. Decide what furniture you ABSOLUTELY NEED......Donate the rest Clothes.....If you haven't worn it in the past year......Donate it Toys........Give each child a medium size box......They put their most favorite toys in the box. The ones that aren't in the box..... Donate them or throw them away. Knick knacks....If it's sentimental, you keep it. IF NOT..... Donate or throw away

Karopie_99
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:43 PM
We actually just bought a house half the size we have now (although there's an additional all 980 st ft of finished basement) because we want to be more minimal and I'm so busy, it would be half the cleaning
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:44 PM
Start by doing one room a day. You have four weeks so you can even do breaks in between the days. Have a keep pile and a get rid of pile. One your rest days take all the stuff to goodwill. I've learned to not hang on to stuff just in case I want to have a yard sale because I never have a yard sale and it just sits there, so I give a bunch to goodwill just to get it out of my house.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)