Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry but I am not going to force him to go to the funeral...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 259 Replies
1 mom liked this

My ex MIL just passed away after a stroke. Her funeral is this weekend. My ex called and told DS he would be there at 10 am Saturday to pick him up so make sure he is ready. 

My DS told him he wasnt going. 

Honestly I dont blame him at all. He hadnt talked to his grandmother in about 3 years. He came out as bisexual and his grandmother said a lot of hateful and horrible things to him both to his face and all over social media. He blocked her on everything and stopped talking to her. 

Last year when he started dating his boyfriend she would say mean things about the both of them on facebook, she even posted a picture of the two of them she found somewhere on facebook saying how she needed people to pray for her grandson because he is down the wrong path and needed help finding jesus. 

At that point he told her to leave him allow and that he never wanted anything to do with her. 

I talked to him about it and he said that he let her go out of his life a long time ago and so this doesnt really feel any different to him. He said he has no desire to go to a funeral for a woman like that. That just because she is dead doesnt change the fact that he wants nothing to do with her. 

My ex told him it was not acceptable. That he needed to get over it and just go or everyone will look down on him. DS told him that he doesnt care. If people look down on him for this they arent the kind of people he wants in his life

My ex told me that I should force him to go. I told him absolutely not. It is DS' decision and I will support him in whatever he wants to do. 

My ex said that he is still a child and I should make him go. I was pretty shocked like this. DS is 17 and will be 18 in a few months. However he graduated back in may with a diploma and his first degree (he was in the dual enrollment program) and is now in university with only a semester and a half before getting his bachelors degree. On top of that he has a paid internship.

While technically he is a minor he is far from being a child. My ex said if DS doesnt go he is completely cut off and he wont even pay for college. DS said that was okay because his scholarships have covered everything so far anyway. My ex said we should both kick him out and he said that he could just live in the dorms (he isnt wrong but I wouldnt kick him out over this anyway) 

I really just cant believe how my ex is acting. He is only going to push DS away from him more doing this and trying to force him is just going to damage things between them. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Hopefully he won't end up regretting it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:04 PM

hart57
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:04 PM
16 moms liked this
Normally I would say he should go to support family members who loved her. But after what she did, I think it's ok he doesn't go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:05 PM
12 moms liked this
Your ex is a fucking dumbass. Good for you for sticking up for your son.
whooperz
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:07 PM
5 moms liked this
I didn't go to my mothers funeral. I didn't respect her when she was alive and it certainly didn't change because she was dead. Your son is totally justified with his feelings and your ex is a douche
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't blame your son a bit. Your ex is deluded if he thinks otherwise....and he's acting like a shithead, telling you to kick him out.

I can see why he's an "ex".
poietes
by Laura on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:13 PM
11 moms liked this
I don't blame your son but his dad is hurting and if he has a good relationship with dad then I would encourage him to go to support his dad through his hard time. And please don't let what he is saying affect how you or your son sees your ex. He is in pain and is lashing out from it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:14 PM
4 moms liked this
DS is 17 and doesn't have to go to the hateful bitches funeral. She basically disowned him while she was alive......He has the right to return the favor now that she is dead
Tell your EX to kiss off and he better not show up at your house, or he will be met by the police
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I would not try to get my child to go. But then again I don't care about being related by blood. My family are people I chose, not born into by chance.
kenoss19
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I do not blame your DS. I wouldn't go under those circumstances, either. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)