Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Computer savvy people come here!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

our family computer/screen will not get out of "power saving mode" 

what I have tried...

I turned the computer tower off manually because I couldn't get to the start menu. I turned off the screen at the same time. I waited 30 seconds, I tried manually turning on the computer tower, and then turned on the screen. it shows on the screen like it's starting to boot up. but then show "power saving mode" in green line box.  and then goes to sleep mode. and won't get out of sleep mode unless I shut it down...

I tried ctrl alt delete, and esc. I tried hitting enter and space bar. I tried moving the mouse around and clicking the mouse.

But it wont get out of sleep mode!

we just scanned the computer yesterday and there was nothing showing up in any of the scans.

all that the kids do on this computer is watch youtube.

I can't afford to replace it. but don't know what else to try. I need it to edit my videos as I can't import my video clips from my camera to my MAC, it will only work on our PC.... HELP!?

:( 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elle.tea.22
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:13 PM
Did you try new cables? New monitor? You'd be surprised what you find at goodwill.
PrettyWings29
by Caribbean Queen on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:14 PM

What operating system? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:17 PM

windows 10.... it automatically updated on me a long while ago.

Quoting PrettyWings29:

What operating system? 

krislovejmt
by Pirate Wench on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Check the VGA/DVI/HDMI cord in the back of the monitor that goes to the computer and make sure it's secure on both ends. If that doesn't work, you have a trashed video card or trashed monitor cord.

ETA: Your monitor is not receiving a signal from your PC. That means the cord is bad or the video card is bad. If you have a laptop with an external monitor hook up, you can hook your monitor up to it to see if the monitor receives the signal. If it receives a signal from the laptop, it's not the cord and you need a new video card.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:20 PM

no... I can't really spend any money at all on this... for at least two weeks. 

Quoting Elle.tea.22: Did you try new cables? New monitor? You'd be surprised what you find at goodwill.

PrettyWings29
by Caribbean Queen on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:21 PM

It could be overheating, thus causing it to go into power saving mode. Also it could be the actual power cord that goes to the tower. Do you have another power cord you try with it? If not, as someone else said, Goodwill usually has a lot of cords and such for cheap. For the possible overheating issue, is there enough air to circulate around the tower? They can get pretty dusty as well so you can take some duster spray for electronics and spray it out (with it unplugged of course) and see if that helps. There could be other things causing it do that as well but these two are the more common problems that could cause it to go into power save mode. 

Also when your pc updated, there could have been some driver updates that did not install correctly. You might need to manually install them in safe mode. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting PrettyWings29:

What operating system? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:24 PM

I have a macbook air... it doesnt have anything to connect it. but Ill check things out...

Quoting krislovejmt:

Check the VGA/DVI/HDMI cord in the back of the monitor that goes to the computer and make sure it's secure on both ends. If that doesn't work, you have a trashed video card or trashed monitor cord.

ETA: Your monitor is not receiving a signal from your PC. That means the cord is bad or the video card is bad. If you have a laptop with an external monitor hook up, you can hook your monitor up to it to see if the monitor receives the signal. If it receives a signal from the laptop, it's not the cord and you need a new video card.

FoxTroll
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:25 PM

You may need a new video card.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:26 PM

ill take a look thank you

Quoting PrettyWings29:

It could be overheating, thus causing it to go into power saving mode. Also it could be the actual power cord that goes to the tower. Do you have another power cord you try with it? If not, as someone else said, Goodwill usually has a lot of cords and such for cheap. For the possible overheating issue, is there enough air to circulate around the tower? They can get pretty dusty as well so you can take some duster spray for electronics and spray it out (with it unplugged of course) and see if that helps. There could be other things causing it do that as well but these two are the more common problems that could cause it to go into power save mode. 

Also when your pc updated, there could have been some driver updates that did not install correctly. You might need to manually install them in safe mode. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting PrettyWings29:

What operating system? 

PrettyWings29
by Caribbean Queen on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:27 PM

No problem, also if you have a repair disk that came with it you could try inserting it then shutting it off for about a minute or so and turning it back on and see if that helps. Let me know if you need any more help, I am a geek and like to doodle around with computers. lol. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

ill take a look thank you

Quoting PrettyWings29:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting PrettyWings29:

What operating system? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)