Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you leave your 9 year old home alone?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 235 Replies
1 mom liked this

For just over an hour?

DHs hours at work got switched suddenly and he has to work on Friday when I have class. I cant miss class because I have a test and he cant call into work. 

Because it is same week most of the usual day camp places are full. There is one about an hour away that is open but they want $95 for the one day last minute. That would really be a huge pain in the ass

DS is perfectly capable of entertaining himself safely for an hour and my schools is less than 10 minutes away. I will leave him with a phone so he can call me if he needs. 

DH is freaking out about it but I dont think it will be a big deal.  There is no set age in our state and I was home alone all the time at that age. 

Would you leave him home alone for just over an hour?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:53 PM
It would depend on the kid. Not mine, but yours might be OK.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:53 PM
8 moms liked this
My kid? Yea, he'll just play the Xbox for the entire time. Maybe tomorrow, leave him home alone for 30 minutes and see how he does. Then Thursday, for 45 minutes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:54 PM
Probably
I've left mine home alone before but only for 5 minutes
hart57
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:54 PM
Their isn't a neighbor he can go to? Ask someone for a play date?

It's probably fine, but I would be too nervous to do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:54 PM
i leave dd 9 and ds 6 home while i went grocery shopping, to the store...ect all the time. i leve them with a cell phone and check in, they mostly watch tv or play video games.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:55 PM
I don't think I could do it. Could he walk to your school and wait? I didn't leave mine alone until he was 11 and it wasn't for an hour
FromAtoZ
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:55 PM

I would. I would make sure she/he has all necessary phone numbers and that someone in the neighborhood I knew and trusted was aware she/he was home, that is if they could not watch the child themselves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:55 PM

No there isnt. I was hoping one of my friends would come stay with him but she is busy 

Quoting hart57: Their isn't a neighbor he can go to? Ask someone for a play date? It's probably fine, but I would be too nervous to do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:56 PM

Its about 3 miles away so no. 

Quoting Anonymous 5: I don't think I could do it. Could he walk to your school and wait? I didn't leave mine alone until he was 11 and it wasn't for an hour

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I think that's fine. Just give him a set of rules/expectations. My daughter stayed home alone for short periods several times at the age of 9.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)