Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh hell no dog

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
When I first got my beagle I had to train him to not be aggressive with bones. He used to growl at me if he had a bone and I walked by. Even if I wasn't going to take it. So whenever he would do that I'd snatch his bone and put it away for a while and he stopped.

Until today. I have two dogs. Well my beagle decided to be a greedy ass and steal the other dog's bone. I took it and gave it back. He had his own bone and was only chewing one but wanted both.

My other dog walked away for a minute and when he went back to get his bone my beagle lunged and snapped at him!

I scolded him and took his bone away. He thought he was going to growl at me this time when I took the bone but I stared him down until he submitted and walked away.

He was just at the vet and they just called me yesterday to let me know everything is fine with him but I am not about to tolerate him snapping at anyone or growling at me. The dog he snapped at was here first so it's not like he invaded on his territory.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iwicked
by Sugar Magnolia on Feb. 21, 2017 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Food aggression would not be tolerated at my home. I have to many little humans who call me grandma.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 8:58 PM
Bones have been the only thing he's ever aggressive about. They aren't rare treats either. This is the first time I've ever seen him lunge or snap at my other dog for any reason.

He's currently without his bone and not getting it back unless he's in his crate.

Quoting iwicked: Food aggression would not be tolerated at my home. I have to many little humans who call me grandma.
SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:02 PM
I have a beagle mix and she gets very possessive of food, toys and bones, but only with other dogs, never people. She and my other dog have gotten into tiffs over things before and I just let them work it out between them. Dogs who live together will rarely fight to the point of hurting each other, but it's normal to have little spats.
Euroinus
by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:06 PM
The only time my dog is alowed to growl is when we sleep together and we accidentally put our feet on her. It's like, hey guys Im here. Don't kick me.

The food thing is scary because of kids possibly making a mistake wanting to play.

That's would not be safe.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 22, 2017 at 2:25 PM

bump.

Careeka22
by Caitlin on Feb. 22, 2017 at 2:30 PM

I had a puggle who was very possesive of any bones. I had to keep her away from the other dogs if she had one. The dog can have them in it's crate or not at all.

thundersky
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 2:32 PM

im glad you took care to deal with it. i dont allow that in my house either. in fact i have trained my dog to let go of anything he has in his mouth when little fingers get near it. he is what i call child proof LOL. he has been through 2 babies clibing on him pulling on him. he is great. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
It's normal. He was asserting dominance over the other dog, that's how dogs work. He didn't react aggressively to you, and submitted. The other dog wasn't hurt, just warned. You're kind of overreacting. You handled the situation, if he has other issues sperate them when they have bones.
OrangeBalloon
by Emerald Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 2:34 PM

I don't think that I would give him bones anymore than. If that triggers aggressive behavior, don't let him have them. 

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 2:41 PM

So give him a bone in a separate room or even outside away from the other dog. Or put him in his crate where he can be alone with his bone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)