Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

we had to put one down and now we have to rehome another...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies
I'm writing this here because there's really no other place for me to just let all my feelings out anonymously as I know this is a controversial topic. Some of you will be supportive and understanding and others won't, and that's ok as we're humans with many different opinions and viewpoints. I will preface this by saying that we are a dog loving family who does tons of rescue work so we know the horrors of pets being given up for no good reason.

2 months ago we had to make the most difficult decision of having to put one of our beloved dogs down, he was the alpha. After he passed the dynamics in our home changed. One of my bigger female dogs Layla started to assert herself in the home specially around my smaller dog Ana. One evening my MIL fed the dogs some table scraps while we finished dinner. We had told her on numerous occasions not to do this because it went against our training and it could cause a fight between the dogs. Well low and behold Layla and Ana went at it. It took my husband and I what seemed like an eternity to get them separated. I ended up squirting water at them from te kitchen sink sprayer. We let them outside separately and put one in the kitchen and the other in the living room. About an hour later when we though everything was ok they fought again for no apparent reason. Again we struggled separating them and when we finally did I had to take the Ana to the vet because she had some serious punctures. From then on we kept them in different rooms separated by tall baby gates. They would growl at ea other through the gates and we realized that the fights had completely changed them. We tried everything: professional trainer, behaviorist, vets, etc. Nothing worked. Then one day my youngest son learned how to open the baby gate and let Ana into the adjoining room. All hell broke loose as my bigger dog attacked her. We tried everything to separate them: horn, water, screams, choking them out by their collars, you name it. DH finally took his forearm and hit them both over the head startling the dos and breaking his arm. Ana received a bunch of stitches. From that day on they were separated into crates and we took turns bringing them out. We have a small home with 3 bedrooms, 4 children and no room to place the crate and cage except in the middle of the living room. They will even try and fight through the crates. It's crazy! When my oldest gets home from school he can't let all the dogs out to pee because I can't trust that something won't happen. Anyway, we went over it a million different ways and the only solution is to rehome one of them. So now my Ana who has never done anything wrong to my family is being sent back to the rescue and I am beyond heartbroken. I've been crying non-stop because I'm abandoning her. The rescue has assured me that I'm doing what is best for the dogs and my family since the dogs are currently in danger and it's not healthy for them. But I am still broken over this...
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:38 PM

Why is the smaller dog being sent to the rescue while you keep the one who is becoming aggressive? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:55 PM
The larger one is not aggressive towards people or any other dog in the house. The smaller one is equally as aggressive as the larger one towards her. Before it wasn't an issue because the larger one was submissive to the smaller one, but when my male dog passed Layla began to test that. All it took was the initial fight to crumble the good relationship they had with each other and that fight was caused by the both of them being jerks.

As far as making a decision, Layla must remain in my home due to her being my son's emotional support dog. He needs her as she has helped him tremendously with his difficulties.

Quoting sheramom4:

Why is the smaller dog being sent to the rescue while you keep the one who is becoming aggressive? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)