Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shy kids at school?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:35 PM
  • 0 Replies

My three-year-old son has been in preschool for almost two months. He still won't play with the other kids. During free play time, he will just sit over to the side by himself and watch the other kids play. When they do joint class play with my three-year-old daughter's class, then he will play with whoever she is playing with, but she has to initiate it. 

The teacher said his social skills themselves are fine, when he plays with other kids when my daughter is there he shares, acts appropriately, etc. He does fine academically, answers questions when the teacher calls on him, follows instructions, she doesn't think he is too immature for the class, he knows how to act with others, he is just shy. I have asked him why and at first he said that he didn't know, then he said "what if the other kids don't want to play with me?" I have told him that I'm sure they will and he won't know until he asks, but so far, it hasn't helped. 

I'm thinking of doing single playdates for him without his sister and putting him in some extracurriculars that she isn't in, since currently, she does all of the activities that he does, to help boost his confidence without her. Anyone with a shy younger child? Any advice?

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)