Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I do? *Update*

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:16 PM
  • 39 Replies

I have bipolar 1 mixed episode, borderline personality, and PTSD. I have been doing really well mood wise. Both my therapist and psychiatrist reduced the frequency I see them because I have been so stable. Now on to my question I think I am sliding into a full on hypomanic/manic phase. I say this because my mood is not just good, but GREAT, I feel amazing (usually a bad sign). Also I have boundless energy (odd for me because I have chronic fatigue & fibromyalgia) and I am sleeping very little.Other than that I have been able to control other manic impulses (like to over spend). But how do I calm myself down and remain stable...instead of manic? I'm taking medication as prescribed. It has been a long time since I was full on manic (usually as my diagnosis suggests it is a combo of manic and depressed at the same time...this time not depressed at all). My question is are there coping skills I should be using to reduce this the severity of this phase or to calm it down? Should I call my therapist to get in, even if I feel fine, and I am not doing anything 'bad' other than not sleeping much. Or should I call my psychiatrist? I really don't think it is a medication issue though because I've been stable so long, and I hate to go through the process of finding new medications.

I'm just a little confused how to handle this, because in therapy I've always been taught and we go over coping skills for my depressive symptoms because those are the ones that have caused the most problems in the past.

Also could it be that I'm just really happy and not manic? How do I tell? ugh....sorry this is so long...Advice?

Update- Called my therapist, left a voicemail. Waiting to hear back.

Update 2-It is 12:30pm, she hasn't called me back yet.

Update 3- Therapist called. She said since I am controlling most manic impulses fairly well, and trying to use coping skills. She is not concerned about me being manic at this point, she is more concerned (as am I) about the crash to depression that usually follows. She advised me to call my psychiatrist to see if there was a way to avoid the crash. So I called the psychiatrist's nurse told her what was going on and asked how to avoid a crash. She said she'd talk to my psychiatrist and call me back. 

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicholy10
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:18 PM

BUMP

Nicholy10
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:24 PM

BUMP

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:30 PM
Call your therapist.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:31 PM
I don't know anything about this, but 2 thoughts occurred to me:

1- are the coping skills for your depression only effective on your depression? Could those skills help you now, even though you think of them as only for depression?

2- yes, unless someone here has a good answer, call either your therapist or psychiatrist.

Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:33 PM
I think you should contact your doctor's, they should be giving some ideas for coping and working your way through. Good luck, I don't have experience with this personally so bump too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:33 PM
Call your therapist. Tell them you need to come asap, you need help figuring out what's going on.
Nicholy10
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:40 PM

Well my coping skills for depression are things like call a friend to talk through my feelings/urges (i'm a social butterfly right now, which is also wierd for me, and I don't want to overdue the calling people), distracting myself (to avoid dwelling on depressing thoughts, and avoid self harm), go for a walk/get out of the house (helps boost my mood, but I don't need a mood boost right now, and I don't want to overdue exercise that isn't healthy). Other coping skills are things like writing/journaling, using cafemom (my therapist says it is good for me, I run a support group on here that she thinks has really helped me), and things like that. I'm not sure how those things help reduce mania...I have been on cafemom a lot more than usual lately, but I'm still taking care of my household duties so I don't see that as a problem as of yet. 

I'll call my therapist tomorrow. I'll avoid calling my psychiatrist until my therapist says I have to, because I REALLY REALLY don't want to go through a medication change.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I don't know anything about this, but 2 thoughts occurred to me: 1- are the coping skills for your depression only effective on your depression? Could those skills help you now, even though you think of them as only for depression? 2- yes, unless someone here has a good answer, call either your therapist or psychiatrist. Good luck.

Nicholy10
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:40 PM

Okay, I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks for your advice.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Call your therapist.

Nicholy10
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:41 PM

I can do that. I'll call my therapist in the morning... Thank you for your input. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: I think you should contact your doctor's, they should be giving some ideas for coping and working your way through. Good luck, I don't have experience with this personally so bump too.

Nicholy10
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:42 PM

I'll call her in the morning and explain what is going on and see if she wants me to come in or if she can help via phone. Thank you for your input. :0) 

Quoting Anonymous 4: Call your therapist. Tell them you need to come asap, you need help figuring out what's going on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)