Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food stamps got cut off, angry :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 131 Replies
1 mom liked this
I work full time shift manager at McDonalds and I have a year left of nursing school, also a single mother to 2 sons and the baby daddy doesn't pay child support. I was receiving food stamps and mostly use it on my son's and I get free food at McDonalds while I'm working and only eat once on my days off which I also go to classes. Well I got a $0.70 raise from my supervisor when I had a performance review which I was happy and I always reported my income every month to the food stamps office. I got a letter recently that they terminated my food stamps because they were saying I made "too much". I was angry and sad. Well now I have to budget even more and worry about dinner for my sons, weekends, and school breaks even though they eat free breakfast and lunch at their school and my general manager was kind enough to let me take happy meals home for my sons once in a while and I didn't really want them to eat McDonalds even though I work there and I only eat the snack wraps and salads anyways. I'm worried now in a month that my parents are going to a cruise for their 30th anniversary for a week and I have to find someone to watch my sons and take them to school on days I work and go to classes on my days off and I can't afford to call out and I can't afford after school care, already use my vacation pay to stay at the hospital when my oldest had surgery. I can't wait to finish school, get my degree and become a nurse I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore and I can get a house for my sons and I so we don't have to live in an apartment anymore and actually do things as a family. Right now when I get a chance I go to food banks to eat dinner with the children if I get off on time.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:29 PM
Ask for a fair hearing with aid to continue. Your case won't be closed 😉
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:30 PM
Get a better paying job?!? How much are you paid at McDonalds as a shift manager?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Holy run on sentences. You're in college????
MissAndree
by Nosuchthing on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:32 PM

That really sucks, I am sorry. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I get paid $12.60 an hour now after a raise and they said I made "too much". I've been working at McDonalds since I was 16, got pregnant shortly after with my first son, and been working there for 10 years now and I got promoted to shift manager 2 years ago after there was a wage cap for crew member/crew trainer. I'm in college and attend classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I have a year left of college to earn my bachelor's and hopefully to become a certified RN. My general manager and district manager who finalized the schedules works out with my school since I needed Tuesdays and Thursdays off for school and my mom who doesn't work always watch my sons.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Get a better paying job?!? How much are you paid at McDonalds as a shift manager?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:40 PM
I'm in college right now. I rushed as I was venting. Sorry :(

Quoting Anonymous 4: Holy run on sentences. You're in college????
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:43 PM
Good thing about food banks that they aren't any income restrictions unlike food stamps, but only opens on certain time and not on weekends. There are working parents barely making ends meets to be told "you made too much to qualify for food stamps".

Quoting MissAndree:

That really sucks, I am sorry. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol. Can you imagine doctors trying to read her intake notes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:47 PM
Start looking for a sitter now! Ask the school if they know of anyone. Look on Craigslist. There's people that babysit at their houses for cheap!

Reapply or ask for a hearing if you think you still qualify for foodstamps.

Mom2theboy1994
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Don't you know if you are in college you are supposed to speak and write perfectly at all times? Get your act together, lady! lol.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm in college right now. I rushed as I was venting. Sorry :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)