Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hungry Cats vs Starving Humans

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 2:08 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

In our local town newspaper, there are weekly advertisements looking for foster homes and/or voluteers for a local cat shelter. There's always one of two featured cats with a picture and a short but sad story. Sometimes an elderly owner has died. Sometimes the cats are found homeless. Some are abandoned.

The stories are sad but it's wonderful that there are people who take these cats in, or donate food, or money or just their time. I wish I could take some cats, but my son is allergic.

Anyway, I feel there's a real need for this kind of charity, so what I'm about to say, please don't misunderstand what I mean. Now, I'll just continue a little bit..

So we can no longer have cats but we have two small dogs. And they are hypoallergenic but they also are breeds with high prey drives. So that means they will run through electric fencing, dig under traditional fencing, and basically find a way outthe front door. When I try to get them, they run further. It's like a game.

So many times wonderful people that I don't even know from the neighborhood have helped me get our dogs back because they're friendly and go up to any stranger (with me, they know I'll take them home!)

Now on to the point.  Why do people make so much fuss over dogs and cats -and I'm glad they do- but THEN neglect the homeless, the indigent, the poor and needy?

When I leave this small town and drive through the nearby college town, I see homeless men and women walking up and down the street all day. This is where I run my errands, as do other people. You can tell who most of these people are: clothes that fit poorly, sometimes dirty, sometimes shopping cart with cans. And who, by the way, is going go for a stroll in a thin fall jacket when it's 21 degrees outside?

Today was the saddest of all. I finally saw a homeless man with his son. The son looked to be about 8 years old. To the man's credit, the son had warm clothes on that fit and looked good, as if he'd really prioritized his kid. But by the looks of the shopping cart with cans and his greasy hair, you could tell the father was homeless or very very poor.

And I think to myself, there's no article in the newspaper asking us to donate anything. There's no one walking around in  below freezing daytime temperatures to offer these people a hot coffee. I mean, worse comes to worse a dog will eat from a dumpster and a cat will catch mice (most of them). But what becomes of a homeless man or woman who hasn't anything to eat, when it's so cold?

Now, I know there's a warming center and some church resources. But the fact of the matter is, much more attention is paid to the animals, and nothing mentioned of the needy humans.

I think that's pretty twisted.

And I'm going to start thinking of ways to create a cause in my neighborhood for this.

by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 2:32 AM
Too many people have heard the stories about homeless people not really being homeless, they're out scamming people. I would think the guy with the kid would be faking maybe, since the kid looked good but he didn't. He can make himself look bad for pity, but he'd be a horrible parent to make his kid suffer, as well, but having him with him would make more people feel sorry for them and more likely to donate. There have been undercover news stories about people who pretend to be homeless for a living, and they make enough money off of it not to have to work, sometimes very very good money. So people are wary of them all now. Those few have really harmed the ones who are truly needy, because no one trusts any of them anymore.
That, and you know the animals aren't faking their situation. And some people just have a softer spot in their hearts for animals over humans. But mostly I think is the people who are only pretending to be in need that have caused people to not want to help anyone anymore. And there are also many instances where the homeless person is on drugs or has an addiction of some other kind, and they only want money to feed the addiction. If you offer to buy them food, they get nasty with you because they only want money for whatever their drug of choice may be. Most people don't want to enable an addict.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 2:34 AM
Oh, and there are always the people who think all homeless people got into their situation by their own poor choices, and simply need to 'get a job.'
buttersworth
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this

They weren't pan handling. They were just walking by my car while i was stopped at a light. This is a college town and down the street there's a warming shelter and I see these people going from this area to two miles up the street where there's a Good Will store. I've never seen any falling down drunk. Besides, they're not allowed into shelters with alcohol or drunk or high. I think people have bad circumstances and sometmes mental health issues. The biggest growing number of homeless people this decade are soldiers with untreated PTSD. So anyway, it's a college town and you have college kids walking all around, or homeless people. Pretty easy to distinguish.

But see, this is what i mean. Why have you made an excuse to forget about homelessness and blame it on them? I'm not picking on you ...but the way you're responding is how most people respond.

Let me tell you something. If I saw a homeless vet sitting on the front stoop of a church and he'd just had a free church meal, and it was like 20 degrees out, and he asked me for a cigarrette, maybe I'd go buy him a pack and a lighter. The man is sitting in the frigid cold. What difference does it make what makes the man happy. Do you know what it's like to sit in the cold like that? The shelters kick those people out durign the day, they have few choices where to go. How would it kill me to buy a guy who's got nothing, to let him indulge a pack of cigarettes. I smoke, I know what it means to need nicotene.

What would it be for me, who has a house, and two cars, and beds to sleep in and fully stocked kitchen? Am I going to judge this person, really?

There's a wonderful book of the Bible that gives advice about such a situaiton. It's called Job.'

Anyway, nothing i did myself got me my big house with my cars and my stocked kitchen. If it weren't for God allowing me to have or giving me things, making it come about that I should have what I have, then I would have nothing.

For me, things in life were freely given. Christ was freely given. I should freely give to others in need without judging why they should need it, don't you think?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Too many people have heard the stories about homeless people not really being homeless, they're out scamming people. I would think the guy with the kid would be faking maybe, since the kid looked good but he didn't. He can make himself look bad for pity, but he'd be a horrible parent to make his kid suffer, as well, but having him with him would make more people feel sorry for them and more likely to donate. There have been undercover news stories about people who pretend to be homeless for a living, and they make enough money off of it not to have to work, sometimes very very good money. So people are wary of them all now. Those few have really harmed the ones who are truly needy, because no one trusts any of them anymore. That, and you know the animals aren't faking their situation. And some people just have a softer spot in their hearts for animals over humans. But mostly I think is the people who are only pretending to be in need that have caused people to not want to help anyone anymore. And there are also many instances where the homeless person is on drugs or has an addiction of some other kind, and they only want money to feed the addiction. If you offer to buy them food, they get nasty with you because they only want money for whatever their drug of choice may be. Most people don't want to enable an addict.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 2:57 AM
My entire point was to tell you what people typically believe about them in general, I never said anything about my personal take on it. But you wondered why people didn't seem to care as much as they do about the animals, I explained some of the reasons why.

Quoting buttersworth:

They weren't pan handling. They were just walking by my car while i was stopped at a light. This is a college town and down the street there's a warming shelter and I see these people going from this area to two miles up the street where there's a Good Will store. I've never seen any falling down drunk. Besides, they're not allowed into shelters with alcohol or drunk or high. I think people have bad circumstances and sometmes mental health issues. The biggest growing number of homeless people this decade are soldiers with untreated PTSD. So anyway, it's a college town and you have college kids walking all around, or homeless people. Pretty easy to distinguish.

But see, this is what i mean. Why have you made an excuse to forget about homelessness and blame it on them? I'm not picking on you ...but the way you're responding is how most people respond.

Let me tell you something. If I saw a homeless vet sitting on the front stoop of a church and he'd just had a free church meal, and it was like 20 degrees out, and he asked me for a cigarrette, maybe I'd go buy him a pack and a lighter. The man is sitting in the frigid cold. What difference does it make what makes the man happy. Do you know what it's like to sit in the cold like that? The shelters kick those people out durign the day, they have few choices where to go. How would it kill me to buy a guy who's got nothing, to let him indulge a pack of cigarettes. I smoke, I know what it means to need nicotene.

What would it be for me, who has a house, and two cars, and beds to sleep in and fully stocked kitchen? Am I going to judge this person, really?

There's a wonderful book of the Bible that gives advice about such a situaiton. It's called Job.'

Anyway, nothing i did myself got me my big house with my cars and my stocked kitchen. If it weren't for God allowing me to have or giving me things, making it come about that I should have what I have, then I would have nothing.

For me, things in life were freely given. Christ was freely given. I should freely give to others in need without judging why they should need it, don't you think?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Too many people have heard the stories about homeless people not really being homeless, they're out scamming people. I would think the guy with the kid would be faking maybe, since the kid looked good but he didn't. He can make himself look bad for pity, but he'd be a horrible parent to make his kid suffer, as well, but having him with him would make more people feel sorry for them and more likely to donate. There have been undercover news stories about people who pretend to be homeless for a living, and they make enough money off of it not to have to work, sometimes very very good money. So people are wary of them all now. Those few have really harmed the ones who are truly needy, because no one trusts any of them anymore.
That, and you know the animals aren't faking their situation. And some people just have a softer spot in their hearts for animals over humans. But mostly I think is the people who are only pretending to be in need that have caused people to not want to help anyone anymore. And there are also many instances where the homeless person is on drugs or has an addiction of some other kind, and they only want money to feed the addiction. If you offer to buy them food, they get nasty with you because they only want money for whatever their drug of choice may be. Most people don't want to enable an addict.

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 3:01 AM

Who's going to hire a guy who hasn't taken a shower in a week? Who owns one outfit?

People do not understand. I ran off during college and lived with homeless people for a year and a half. I've seen it all. It is not what people think. These are human beings that need care. I don't care if they made bad decisions, are addicted to drugs, or just need some psychotic medication. You don't leave people half dead in a gutter, in the snow. People just walk on by, they have no idea.

The Bible book of Job is excellent as an example here. He was a rich man and then he suddenly lost his family, his wealth, his servants, his health and his looks. All his friends told him it must be because he sinned, but he was a righteous man. He didnt do anything. God was testing him or using him to make a point, or both. He keeps asking God why this happened basically, and is mad. Then because he stayed faithful he got everything back and was even more prosperous than before.

But when he was going through it, all the people blamed him.

This is what we do to the homeless. As we sit in our houses and buy those extras for our kids or ourselves (Im guilty too) there's some guy sleeping in a 50 bed shelter tonight with one measley blanket who hasnt eaten since 5 o'clock and noway to shave, shower, same clothes as 3 days before. Any posessions he has he has to hold them tight because some other guy, maybe a crazy, dangerous guy, is going to try to steal his stuff while he sleeps.

People don't really know, and people don't care enough to find out, why there's such poor people walking around.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Oh, and there are always the people who think all homeless people got into their situation by their own poor choices, and simply need to 'get a job.'

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 3:11 AM

Thank you.

I'm sorry, I used my response to you to take it step further because I want to really get people riled up. I want to do something but I don't know what. I'm not rich. My house is big space wise but it's old. But I'm comfortable. I don't have extra sometimes to give, but sometimes a little, I do. There are things out there for people too, not like there isn't.  It just makes me mad. This 80 year old man was worried my dog would freeze to death when the dog could come to the door any time that he ran out, and it just struck me that there are human beings wallking around in worse, with less, and I don't see a crowd of people ministering to them like a runaway dog. Isn't that crazy?

Quoting Anonymous 1: My entire point was to tell you what people typically believe about them in general, I never said anything about my personal take on it. But you wondered why people didn't seem to care as much as they do about the animals, I explained some of the reasons why.
Quoting buttersworth:

Quoting Anonymous 1: Too many people have heard the stories about homeless people not really being homeless, they're out scamming people. I would think the guy with the kid would be faking maybe, since the kid looked good but he didn't. He can make himself look bad for pity, but he'd be a horrible parent to make his kid suffer, as well, but having him with him would make more people feel sorry for them and more likely to donate. There have been undercover news stories about people who pretend to be homeless for a living, and they make enough money off of it not to have to work, sometimes very very good money. So people are wary of them all now. Those few have really harmed the ones who are truly needy, because no one trusts any of them anymore. That, and you know the animals aren't faking their situation. And some people just have a softer spot in their hearts for animals over humans. But mostly I think is the people who are only pretending to be in need that have caused people to not want to help anyone anymore. And there are also many instances where the homeless person is on drugs or has an addiction of some other kind, and they only want money to feed the addiction. If you offer to buy them food, they get nasty with you because they only want money for whatever their drug of choice may be. Most people don't want to enable an addict.

MarriedMom04
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 3:31 AM
I hesitated to read your Post because I dislike cats so much 😂😂

We go out monthly & serve the homeless & do not judge their position. We truly ztrstruggle, just feel we need to help anyone we can
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 5:56 AM
According to some, this should be taken care of by charities. I guess that doesn't always work. Oh well. Their own fault. Not my problem. I like animals better than people anyway.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)