Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should middle school students be drug tested?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Do you believe schools should test their students for drugs?

If so, at what age should the testing begin?

Is middle school too young?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:53 AM
Replies (41-45):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:38 PM
Our high school does random drug testing.
You have to sign paperwork agreeing your child can be randomly screened.
We as parents signed the paperwork. Not that I have any fear at this point of my kid coming up positive, we would test her if it was a concern. But, I feel like it's another person checking on her. I believe it takes a village, the school is part of my children's village.
They aren't there to parent, but I consider myself and the school on the same team.
My daughters been tested twice this year. Doesn't bother me in the least.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:24 AM
Random Drug testing in school, High School or other, is overreaching. Kids with disciplinary, performance issues, or their indicators of a problem might be candidates for school testing.

There are numerous students that are successful and can handle recreational use of drugs and alcohol. It is not advisable and probably not typical, but Why punish them for a random test? I pulled straight A's, got a scholarship, and graduated college in 4 years all while recreationally using drugs and alcohol. I had several friends with similar experiences, so I am not unique.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:31 AM
Not routinely. Only under special circumstances.
Littlebunnyfufu
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:39 AM
I feel like this is an overreach, this is a parenting concern and I'm not for schools stepping into my child's life that far.

I mean what do they do with a positive test? CPS? Do they follow up? It could become more invasive that is necessary for parents who can/will address the issue.

Additionally, I feel it sets the kids up to expect guilty until proven innocent or loss of the expectation that at the end of the day the people they answer to are mom and dad. They start to view the school system as an authority on par with police or parents.
brime98
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:44 AM
No.
Most athletic teams have the right to test though, even in public schools.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN