Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where to start when baby doesn't like rice cereal?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 74 Replies
Our doctor told me we could start trying rice cereal with my daughter (5 months on 3/27). We did, and she can swallow it, she has a couple times. But mostly she makes a face and spits it out. I've tried the oatmeal one too, and tried mixing them and it all ends the same way. Do I wait until 6 months and then do stage one baby food or is there something else I can do with this?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Mashed avocado is a healthier option.
Kiwismommy19
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I never bothered with that stuff. No real reason to. They get what they need from formula/breast milk. Once they're big enough to eat anything else you can just cook them the real thing, or give fresh and mashed depending on what it is.
Catherinesmom12
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM
My son is 5 months

He likes oatmeal.

I started with baby food prunes though because he has pooping issues.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM
I have mine things like mashed carrots, avocado, sweet potatoes, bananas, etc. as soon as they could pick things up themselves I started peas and beans and other small soft foods. We skipped puréed baby food entirely with my youngest.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM
5 moms liked this

We skip baby food and all cereals. Cereal is processed crap. We do baby led solids.  But my kids would never start solids before 6 months, sitting up completely on their own, and able to feed themselves. YOur dr is very outdated with his advice anyways.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

mikesmom65270
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

It's probably a reaction to the texture and swallowing more than the actual taste of the rice cereal. Keep trying and she may like it. It's also probable that you need to back off on solids for now and try again in a month or so,

Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:49 AM

I just mashed whatever we were having for our meals, except meats.  It's easier and cheaper that way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:51 AM
The only baby I had that actually ate baby food including baby cereal was my oldest dd. All the others just wanted real food. Right now with my youngest who is almost one, I've been giving her cheerios and mashed banana along with her formula. As long as they can start picking up food by themesleves just give them the real thing cut up real small.
caito
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM

I never even bothered with my second kid. He only had breastmilk until 6 months, then I started with mashed bananas and mashed avocado. Rice cereal is gross.

Devilish_One
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:54 AM
We skipped it all together.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)