Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need honest opinions, who is wrong? ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
Not going to say what side I'm on in this story because I want honest opinions.

Family A plans their child's communion for May. It's a big party at a hall with DJ, child entertainment m, etc.

Family B purchases tickets to a concert festival in November as a birthday present for their child and gives the present in January to the child. It's an expensive purchase and includes hotel reservations and a day at a theme park.

A few weeks after the birthday, fam A contacts fam B and tells them to hold the date of the communion, it's the same date as the concert. Fam B explains that they have prior plans and tickets purchased. They apologize and are upset they're missing the event, but don't want to ruin their child'a birthday present. Fam A is upset that Fam B won't be there and that their child will be missing her cousins.

Should Fam B cancel their plans to be able to attend this big celebration which is a very important event in the child'S life? Should Fam A understand that Fam B had prior plans which cannot be changed to another date and not be mad?

ETA: Yes we're Fam B. The other family is my sister and it's my nephew who is getting his communion. When my sister told me the date I felt terrible, but I honestly felt like I couldn't take away my son's bday present. She was sad, not mad, but understood. That was at the end of January. Today I received texts from her husband that made me feel really awful. He said he would do anything to be Our any of our children's events and that since we're not willing to make it to his son's special day then at least now he knows where stand as a family. His exact words "Guys look I get that. And I do understand but nothing could make Me miss anything this special for any of your kids. This whole this is just so disappointing and extremely funny. I'm just glad now I know we're we stand as a family. Have fun." I'm in tears now. My sis didn't even know he was texting my DH and me. She said he doesn't know how to talk and is very harsh. DH wants to now cancel the Birthday plans because he feels like garbage after getting that text. My son is 13, he's the type that will understand but inside he will be very sad and hurt. I'm at a loss because my family is the so important to me.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM
I don't think anyone is "wrong" just a shitty situation. Fam B should still plan the concert thing and just send a gift and maybe visit on a different day.
Just my opinion.
Episkey
by Dra til helvete on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Fam b already had plans. A party can be rescheduled if it's THAT big of a deal, you can't really reschedule a concert
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Family B should go through with their plans. 

Family A needs to realize that when you send an invite NOT everyone will come. people may have other commitments, people may get sick, people may be on vacation and the list goes on.

Family A may be disappointed but to be anything more than that is stupid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Both should attend their prospective events and get together for dinner on another date to celebrate
jjessers
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:38 PM
This

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Family B should go through with their plans. 

Family A needs to realize that when you send an invite NOT everyone will come. people may have other commitments, people may get sick, people may be on vacation and the list goes on.

Family A may be disappointed but to be anything more than that is stupid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:40 PM

Family A should understand that Family B had prior plans.  Family B can send a nice gift to the Family A's child to acknowledge the special event.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:40 PM
No, they should not. Their child would be devestated at having his present ruined. Sometimes there are scheduling conflicts. It's okay to not attend every event.
La_Vie_en_R0se
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM
It sucks but family B should stick with their plans and send regrets as well as a gift to the party.
Tinse
by Crazy Bird Lady on Mar. 18, 2017 at 12:42 PM

I agree with this:

Quoting Anonymous 4: Both should attend their prospective events and get together for dinner on another date to celebrate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)