Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stay at home mom and one child

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

I'm a stay at home mom, my son is 3.  We live in a remote area and DH travels often.  I don't family around and the family I do have, do not have children my son's age.  I spend at least 75% of my time playing with my son.  He does have speech and behavioral therapist that come to the house twice a month. 

I'm very concerned about his socialization skills and how he will get along with kids once he starts school. 

My sister who has three children, but lives 1000 miles keeps saying "he is going to be socially retarded". 

This hurts my feelings, obviously.  When I take him to Chuck E Cheeses, Jump Place and the playground, he interacts with kids, holds their hands, wants to follow them, but usually older kids. 

Any experiences in this?  Can anyone give me hope that my son will not be socially awkward?

FYI...I can't have anymore children, because I had to have an emergency hysterectomy during the birth of my son. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd look into play groups if you're concerned but I'm sure he'll adjust like all the other children that weren't in daycare at a young age.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:37 PM
I live in the middle of nowhere so at 3 I had my kids in awana, story time at the library, and drove an hour to gymnastics classes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:38 PM

He has a very limited vocabulary.  Due to that, I'm afraid to put him in playgroups, because he may get made fun of.  I do hope once he gets to school he is ok. 

Quoting Ted1242: I'd look into play groups if you're concerned but I'm sure he'll adjust like all the other children that weren't in daycare at a young age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:39 PM

We do Storyville twice a month.  I've thought about church activities. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I live in the middle of nowhere so at 3 I had my kids in awana, story time at the library, and drove an hour to gymnastics classes.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell your sister that's not nice the next time she says that. It's not her concern.
Your son sounds sweet.

You may have to drive a little further, but seek out other moms when you're at the jump places. If your son finds a friend, try and tall to the mom and ask if she'd like to meet up again.

Finding mom friends is like dating sometimes😂😂
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM
Can't hurt to try. Also I saw you're afraid he will get made fun of at play dates but preschoolers can be very accepting and it may encourage him to speak more.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

We do Storyville twice a month.  I've thought about church activities. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I live in the middle of nowhere so at 3 I had my kids in awana, story time at the library, and drove an hour to gymnastics classes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM

So far I have only been able to cry when she tells me.  I"m so soft. 

He is sweet.  When he meets someone new, he shakes their hand and says "nice to meet you".  You have to know what he is saying to understand him though. 

I've had a hard time making friends and that is probably why I'm so concerned about him.  I will try harder. 

Quoting iamcafemom83: Tell your sister that's not nice the next time she says that. It's not her concern. Your son sounds sweet. You may have to drive a little further, but seek out other moms when you're at the jump places. If your son finds a friend, try and tall to the mom and ask if she'd like to meet up again. Finding mom friends is like dating sometimes😂😂

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:44 PM
Join play groups, library programs, children's museums or send him to a preschool. Kids need to be socialized with other children.
11beesonafarm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:48 PM
He's only 3. Limited vocabulary is not a big issue and shouldn't hold you back from seeking out play groups if you are comfortable with that.

You said he makes friends with older kids at places like Chuck E. Cheese and the park. That right there says he's doing something right in the socialization department.

As I said, remember he's only 3. I know he's grown so much for the past 3 years but he's still very very young in the grand scheme of it all. He will go to school and maybe struggle the first few weeks if that but he has a LOT of time to gain social skills in the near future.

He's fine right now. Play dates can never hurt but it's not necessary imo.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 1:48 PM
Augjjhhh I hate that she is so mean.

I have been a sahm now for 7 years. My youngest is 2, and I'm telling you, it has been SO hard to make mom friends this time around. I don't think it is you, necessarily. I think a lot of people have just pulled inwards.

But keep at it. You will find your people ❤
PS my son is speech delayed, I totally understand the struggle. It is so tough, but I think one day both of our boys will get through this. Hang in there!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

So far I have only been able to cry when she tells me.  I"m so soft. 

He is sweet.  When he meets someone new, he shakes their hand and says "nice to meet you".  You have to know what he is saying to understand him though. 

I've had a hard time making friends and that is probably why I'm so concerned about him.  I will try harder. 

Quoting iamcafemom83: Tell your sister that's not nice the next time she says that. It's not her concern.
Your son sounds sweet.

You may have to drive a little further, but seek out other moms when you're at the jump places. If your son finds a friend, try and tall to the mom and ask if she'd like to meet up again.

Finding mom friends is like dating sometimes😂😂

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)