Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blackness and the kinds of music we're allowed to listen to.

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:05 PM
  • 32 Replies
So I've come across a phenomenon that idk of other black people have noticed.

My 16 year old when she 1st came to live here at age 13 used to straight up HIDE in the car if I played anything on the radio that wasn't pop, hip hop or R&b. She claimed it was because she didn't want issues for listening to "white people music". Since going to a more diverse High School the kid is a total Metal head.

And recently a close friend told me that I have "white girl tastes" in music. This same grown woman would feel embarrassed and slide a little further down in her seat if I played, say, Metallica with the windows down in her neighborhood.

Is this really a concern people have? That you somehow become "less" black if you like rock, country or anything other than the Migos and Lil Wayne (is he still relevent, idk)? Or on a more serious note. Do people really threaten physical harm to others for listening to the "wrong" type of music.

Also do white people and other races have a similar phenomenon? Or is it just black people. Is it tied to the whole "talking white" thing?
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see it as a race thing. It's more of an ignorance thing. Listen to the music you want to talk the way you want to. It doesn't change who you are or what race you are.
I love Metallica
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:12 PM
That's what I think. And I can't blame a silly 13 year old for wanting to fit in with her peers by listening to the music they like. However, at 30 I would think you would have passed that time when you give no fucks what other people think.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't see it as a race thing. It's more of an ignorance thing. Listen to the music you want to talk the way you want to. It doesn't change who you are or what race you are.
I love Metallica
Cajunqueenslsg8
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:12 PM
I've actually never come across anyone telling me that I listen to the wrong music according to my color. I can appreciate tupac, dr.dre, biggie, garth brooks, cher, metallica, reba mcentire.....50's, 60's,70's.....zydeco and french music.....I just love music. My white sons have never been told this either. Music is supposed to bring us together not further apart.
Catherinesmom12
by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:12 PM
That's fucked up.

Does she like Motown? That's my kids favorite. They're white but all the best Motown music is by black artists.

Rock on
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:14 PM
Where is Couture? I kind of want her opinion on this. I feel like she'd have the best insight for some reason
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:14 PM

I've never paid much attention to any one else's opinion in my taste in music. I listen to both black and white artists and nobody has ever said anything to me about it. (I'm white)

Bump.

Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:17 PM

I listen to it all... Country, Rap, Pop, Metal...

People do look at me strange when they hear my playlist that goes from Garth Brooks, to Cannibal Corpse, to Justin Beiber and then A$ap Rocky...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:19 PM

I love how all the white people answered you to tell you that they never experienced this. Like duh, motherfukers, nobody attempts to police what white people like or partake in. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I like all kinds of music.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:21 PM
I'm Hispanic and I've gotten the same responses.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)